--from Hurt by Nine Inch Nails (and Johnny Cash)
I knew this day would come, but it still was a bit of a shock.
Dolly Parton died yesterday at the age of 80.
Here's a message from the family:
I will not say I'm a fan of Country Music; to the contrary, if there's one music I tend to dislike in general, it's Country. Of course there are exceptions, such as some Kenny Rogers songs, but by and large the biggest exception was for Dolly Parton.
She was something else. I'd call her a force of nature, but when people typically think of that they think of people who went through life like a tornado, wreaking chaos and destruction in their wake. Dolly was most definitely not that. Born into poverty, she rose up to be the person she became, and yet she never forgot where she came from.
People born outside the US may have absolutely no idea of the impact Dolly had on reading. Through her Dolly Parton's Imagination Library* that she founded in 1995, she put books in the hands of millions of children. The Imagination Library was a book gifting program that mailed a book per month to children from birth through age 5 completely free of charge. Dolly initially focused on her home of Sevier County, Tennessee, but the program quickly expanded beyond that nationally, and then later internationally to include Canada, the UK, Ireland, and Australia.
The thing that made this endeavor work was that the gifting was completely unconditional: it was open to all children regardless of family income. Dolly just wanted children to read, to have the chance to succeed in life.
***
I grew up in the late 70s to early 80s, which coincided with Dolly Parton's rise to superstardom on the pop charts. So yes, I was quite familiar with Dolly. And yes, hitting puberty in the early 80s meant that of course I knew all about Dolly's most famous assets. If you were a boy of that age at that time, there was no way to not know about them.
![]() |
| From Know Your Meme. |
Dolly, of course, played up on that quite a bit.
![]() |
| From The Chive. |
Still, she had undeniable talent beyond her physical assets. She was a great songwriter and singer, and on one fateful day back in 1972, she wrote both Jolene and I Will Always Love You. The former is always tied to Dolly, and the latter was re-recorded by Whitney Houston and became a complete smash in 1992.
![]() |
| From iFunny.co. |
And that's not even counting Nine to Five or her duet with Kenny Rogers, Islands in the Stream.
***
Dolly was one of those people who was beloved by everybody. I don't think I've ever heard someone say a bad thing about Dolly Parton, and that's saying something.
Farewell, Dolly. You had a much greater impact than you may have ever realized.
*The website is understandably swamped right now, so don't be surprised if you have issues accessing it.
#Blaugust2026



No comments:
Post a Comment