![]() |
| Oh, stop being dramatic. From Titanic. |
It's not that I was tired of WoW or anything, I just didn't log in. There was no pressing need to get on, and I was doing other things, so that was that.
It's always good to gain some perspective by stepping back from what you're immersed in to look around a bit. That's the important part of taking a vacation --not the actual going and doing part-- but rather the self-evaluation made when you step away from your work for a while. I don't think it an accident that the "Great Resignation" came about after the Covid-19 Pandemic. People had plenty of time to think about their lives and the direction they wanted to go, and... They weren't happy with where they were headed. I can't say I blame them one bit, because I know I did.
Given my age, I suppose it's no surprise I've begun reading up on retirement and what it is like for people. I've often quipped that I'll never actually be able to retire, as multiple economic downturns have pretty much sealed the deal for me on that part, but still I wonder if I could make it work. And how other people make retirement work for them as well.
For me, one thing is certain: I'm not one for traveling. My experiences traveling, beginning in my childhood, have never been what I'd call enjoyable. If a family vacation was "not miserable" then that was about as good as it was going to get. Even as an adult I found the few family vacations we took to be not very enjoyable because for certain people in the family a vacation meant "GOGOGO" and "DODODO", when all I wanted was to park myself somewhere and just close my eyes and relax. And as you can imagine, I did not win those familial battles, so I gamely had to deal with it.
It's kind of ironic that I play games and read books that frequently involve traveling from one place to another, because I'm just done with dealing with all that in real life. Perhaps its because it's more an idealized way of travel without having to do it yourself, particularly given the prices of everything surrounding travel, but it could also be having to witness how cringey some travelers are. You know the old joke about how if you're speaking to someone in another country and they don't understand you, the solution is to speak it LOUDER? Yeah, I've seen that in action. That and a ton of other faux pas that give a credence to the stereotypical Ugly American abroad. And for me, that's just in my own freaking country.
But right now, stepping back from WoW for several days was what I needed and I didn't even know I needed it. I felt refreshed when I logged in last evening, and I ran a couple of dungeons with people who I didn't know but had an enjoyable time with. I realize that is pretty much the luck of the draw, but falling into a group with a tank/healer combo who were from the same guild and were happy with my output (as in: not pushy into how to maximize my DPS) was pretty much chef's kiss.
It was low stress and enjoyable, and that's all I could have asked for.
EtA: Fixed a typo.
#Blaugust2026

No comments:
Post a Comment