Tuesday, August 18, 2026

The Attraction of the New

Have you ever had that urge to start a new game, but you were reluctant to pull the trigger because your lack of impulse control would mean that you'd spend all available time on it?

Yeah, that's me.

Oh, I have some impulse control, it's that the interest in the game would override whatever I do have until that initial 20+ hours are out of the way. 

Then there are games where you make a poor decision very early in the game and you pay for it hours later when things are a lot more difficult to course correct.

Like this game.

For some reason, I pick a starting location that by the time the city gets to a pretty decent size --typically when you need post-secondary education-- I suddenly realize that my starting location was really crappy. 

I guess that means I'm like just any other urban planner out there.

That "poor starting location" is not confined to traditional city simulators, but also those in another world.

What made me think that starting a colony
on Mars while surrounded by mountains
was a good idea?

That screencap, from a Surviving Mars game from earlier this year, highlights my lack of planning. I look at the mountains and think "Ooo, pretty!" or maybe "Ooo, resources!" but it never works out that way. It just ends up being a royal pain in the ass to maneuver and build around. Gameplay like that emphasizes that people who do this for a living and have spent years trying to figure out where to build a base on Mars (or the Moon, for that matter) are much better at it than me.

Oh well. I suppose there's always playing Civ V for a change...

It could be worse, I suppose.

#Blaugust2026

No comments:

Post a Comment