Friday, August 21, 2026

A Diversion of Sorts

It's been a long week at work, and I'm within sight of the weekend.

Normally I'd be moving forward with getting an antenna set up outside for my amateur radio work, but I'm going to shelve that for a little while.

Why, you may ask?

Because the roof is going to need replacement.

After the storms blew threw here a week ago last Tuesday, I'd wrestled with filing a damage claim on the house. I mean, we had some siding blown off, but I'd recovered them and all that's really needed is that they be put back in place. Still, I decided to go ahead and file a claim just in case there's more damage to the siding than I realized. 

Say hello to the siding section that blew off.
It's about 2' high by 8' wide.


The inspector came here last Saturday and went around the house, checked out the siding and the roof, as well as the small plastic shed that we inherited when we bought the house. It's only 6'x8', and I've been thinking for at least a decade that I'd like to replace it with something big enough that I could actually stand upright inside it, but it was more off in the distant future. 

When the inspector finished, I noted he'd marked up in chalk several places around the roof. I asked him if the roof seemed sound, and he replied that it was. The gutters were also in good shape as well, thank goodness, so I figured that we'd hear about maybe there was enough damage to the siding that we'd get a few dollars out of it once you take out the deductible for our homeowner's insurance.

Imagine my surprise when I got a call from the claims adjuster mid-week that our insurance had deemed four of the six roofing sections* had enough damage to warrant replacement. Now, they did admit that a roofer coming to perform the work would likely want to replace the other two sections as well, and if the roofer could provide evidence of additional damage they were willing to work with the roofer to adjust the claim accordingly. 

Oh, and they also threw in a few hundred dollars to replace the plastic shed with another one.

"Do they even make those any more?" I asked during the phone call. 

"Yes, they do; we checked."

"Huh." That was unexpected.

But since the roof will need replacement, that means that my antenna will have to wait until the roof is done, then I can finish my work up there. I guess that means it'll be late this year, at the very least. 

Now I have to find a roofer that is NOT a fly-by-night group. I've got access to Angie's List, but I'm also going to talk with a few neighbors who have had their roofs replaced in the past several years. The guy who did the roof way back in 2004 has long since retired, so I think that I'm going to have to find someone new.




*Two sections on the house, two on the attached garage, and two on the covered porch.

#Blaugust2026

No comments:

Post a Comment