Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Death Comes for the Unwary

I seem to have a mental block.

I start a toon on a Classic WoW Hardcore Server, get past the initial wave of potential deaths, and...

Ouch.

Deathwyn Mk. 1 and Mk. 3 died on the same mobs, the middle of the pack Defias, at Level 14 and 13 respectively.*

After a day of stewing in my own juices, I decided to create Deathwyn Mk. 4, and she very nearly died early because I was being stupid and jumped down to where a lone Kobold was, only to suddenly find myself surrounded by respawns. At that point I just bailed and ran away, not caring about the loot that potentially dropped.**

But that's the thing: at L13 through L15 I believe something clicks on in my head saying, "You've got this, you know what to do, and you can run away easily if need be. Relax a bit..."

That's bad news.

The Hardcore Challenge servers are a bit different than regular servers for one big reason: the respawns are SO FAST. That makes normal questing fraught with danger, and given that you have only one life, you have to treat every attack as if it might be your last. 

I need to play more conservatively, take fewer risks, and acknowledge that in HC servers just surviving is a victory. Maybe once I can get to L20 I can start to relax a bit, but you never know.




*Deathwyn Mk. 2 died to a murloc at L9 because I'd kill it, it would immediately respawn and attack, and I eventually ran out of both health potions and mana. After about the fourth respawn I was surrounded by other respawns and I was saying out loud "YOU HAVE GOT TO BE SHITTING ME!"

**When I managed to come back a bit later, I discovered it was a 6 slot bag. Woo hoo!


4 comments:

  1. It's easy to start feeling confident. Confidence isn't for HC. Fear, paranoia, these are your friends, lol. Atheren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This makes me wonder how a guild was able to pull off an HC first kill of Nefarian, only losing one raider in the process.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I can't believe that while I've been taking a break, you already did the same levelling stretch over four times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my stubbornness will be the death of me eventually, but that's the only thing I can point to right now for why I'm still trying.

      Delete