Monday, October 16, 2023

Meme Monday: RPG Romance Memes

Sweetest Day is on Saturday, October 21st this year, so I thought that some romance oriented RPG memes would be....

What, you've never heard of Sweetest Day?

Oh. Uh, you're not missing much.

When you're a teenager who isn't
dating, Sweetest Day can be a real
downer. From Holidaycardsapp.

I became aware of the "holiday" back in the 80s when I was in high school, when it frequently coincided with high schools' Homecoming or Fall Dance celebrations. I thought it was merely a holiday concocted by greeting card and candy companies to sell more products --and to be honest, I still believe that the promotion of Sweetest Day pretty much centers around those companies-- but much to my surprise the holiday is much older than I thought, and is primarily a Midwestern US holiday. 

Yes, it originated in Cleveland of all places.*

Well, I figured that I might as well play off of Sweetest Day to cover romance in RPGs, whether they be of the tabletop variety or the video game variety.

People will consider that Baldur's Gate II is the first RPG that incorporated elements of romance into it, but that was definitely not the first video game to incorporate "romance" or "pursuit of sex" into gameplay. I mean, anybody remember this old chestnut:

Yes, I played it. No, I'm not proud
of that fact. From Wikipedia.

Or this one:

Yes, I played this one too, but never
finished it. The Revenge of the Nerds
vibe from this game was strong.
From Wikipedia.

So... we've come from adventure games such as the above to Baldur's Gate II, to, well, uh... the perpetually thirsty Witcher 3 and Baldur's Gate III. Without further ado, here's a collection of RPG romance memes:

In our recently concluded 20+ year campaign,
we explicitly told the DM we didn't want any
romance or sex in the game. He still tried
to insert that into the game, so I would torpedo
that at every opportunity. From FB's dndmemes.

Heh. From mematic.

That's kind of what I'd expect
from Wolverine. From imgflip.

This kind of goes without saying.
From animalnouncomics.com, via Reddit.



*And yes, as a Cincinnatian and a Bengals fan, I suppose it's obligatory that I put this old video out there:


And in 2018, before he passed away, Sam describes the incident to radio talk show host Rich Eisen in the studio: 


If you search YouTube for other parts of that interview with Sam, it's worth watching if nothing for his advocacy for donating organs. Sam was well known throughout the city as an advocate for the poor, homeless, and the hungry; he was one of a kind and the entire city mourned his passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment