 |
From the comic For Better or For Worse, July 7, 2005. April's band was named "4 Evah", a reference to the four members of the band. And yes, Jeremy was a Class A asshat. |
Shintar poked me the other day, asking me when I was going to post about WoW Forever. I am, after all, a Classic Plus skeptic.
I heard about WoW Forever even while I was up in Milwaukee, because you can't truly escape the gamer news cycle, but beyond that it now exists --and that there's a new Elven race that you have to pay to access*-- I knew almost nothing about it. In fact, I heard just as much about Diablo 5 and the announcement about new game set in the StarCraft universe** as I did WoW Forever: hardly anything. Given that I was with family, that's fine.
 |
| And some friends. |
But I'll also admit that I'm just absolutely damn tired of it all.
***
Maybe it's the fact that I've got to start over once more and try to figure this stuff out without spoiling the discovery process in the game for me --as tons of people seem to have no issues doing that for themselves already-- but I'm also tired of the "same old same old" that will be the modus operandi once the game opens. You know the drill: the game opens and everybody and their Grandfather rushes out to max level, because that's what they've been conditioned to do.
For all the lip service paid by the Devs to the Journey***, both they know and I know that it simply won't happen. People will rush to Endgame, do all the new instances, have YouTube videos and Wowhead in their (virtual) hands, and min max their way to happiness. Oh, and do all the new raids.
My Questing Buddy mentioned something about WeakAuras not working in WoW Forever (I think I have that right), but that won't stop people from trying to figure out other ways to make the raids trivial. To what's probably a vocal minority of the WoW player base, overcoming the obstacles to making the raid trivial is just as important as the raid itself. But since they are quite vocal, they have quite a bit of influence over the player base and the Devs, so... I look at every other fresh WoW environment that Blizzard has released --Retail/Classic expansion, new Vanilla, or whatever since I began playing in 2009-- and the behavior has been the same.
And I'm kind of sick of it.
***
This isn't a matter of me whining that I didn't get my way with Classic Plus, as in my "I'll believe it when I see it" stance means I now have to believe it, but more a matter of me being tired of going against the grain. About the only thing I do know is that based on my prior decades of gaming experience, going with the crowd and rushing ahead only leads to frustration and self-loathing on my part. Ever plowed through a ton of Halloween candy and immediately regretted it afterward? It's like that, but instead of Snickers bars you're inhaling all the in-game content you can without a whit of self-control.
I know for a fact that if I did rush ahead I wouldn't be able to control myself, because I've done that while reading novels. Or playing video games.**** Even WoW, to be honest. (See: the Summer of 2021.)
I do realize that this is just a funk, and I'll eventually get out of it, but I don't think I will do all that much of anything resembling a deep dive into the game. I ought to at least look at a few basics and hash out some theories about WoW Forever and the Azerothian Universe. For now, my initial, very off-the-cuff impression is that WoW Forever is in the same point in the timeline as Warlords of Draenor: an alternate universe akin to what you find in comic books. As I described WoD back in the day as the equivalent of DC Comics' "New 52" reset, WoW Forever fills a gap in the timeline where the timeline zigged instead of zagged.
The hubris involved in calling the game WoW Forever has also not been lost on me, because my initial reaction to the name has been "Really? You're going to call it THAT?" Oh, I get the why of it, but I also don't believe for a minute that was the only reason why that name was chosen. And all I'll say to that is... Nothing lasts forever.
 |
This is the last photo we have of Bleu. Last Wednesday my oldest found her very lethargic in the morning and rushed her to the Emergency Vet. She was told about the worst news you could have, where Bleu was in severe pain, and the two choices were to undergo a highly risky surgery with a low chance of success, or putting her down. She decided to have Bleu be put out of her misery. At least we got to see her over the weekend, where she seemed happy and healthy. |
*The fact that Blizzard has already monetized WoW Forever says a lot about their belief it'll be a success.
**James Strive from the YouTube Channel GameLinked (it's a fork off of LinusTechTips) commented on that StarCraft game "I'll believe it when I see it" at the 2:40 mark from their weekly post this past Thursday. Four years away from release is a long time, and let's be honest: we can't predict what's going to happen in the game industry even two years in advance with LLMs on the rise, much less FOUR years.
***This is another of the few things I do know about WoW Forever.
****Helloo, Baldur's Gate 1. It's been a few decades since I completed you, hasn't it? 1999, you say? That sounds about right. But that was quite a blur back then, because I was a new parent, and despite that I stayed up all night for several nights and then went into work dead tired because I couldn't stop myself from playing until I finished it.
Sorry to hear about your fuzzy friend. 🙁 They are so adorable, yet also fragile and sadly not very long-lived.
ReplyDeleteAnd sorry if my poke made you feel like you had to engage with something you didn't want to. I thought the promise of a place with more focus on questing and low-level dungeons would be appealing to you. (Even if its long-term success is in doubt, that's definitely the sales pitch for launch.)
I just have one question: If you're this tired of the rat race, why did you level on Season of Mastery? And again on the anniversary servers? Why didn't you stay on Classic era, where that's not an issue?
Yeah, we'll miss her.
DeleteIt wasn't your poke, it was only after I started looking at all of this I realized I was sick of it. Everything video game related in my YouTube feed is all about the beta in WoW Forever, and that's saying a lot given all the hype that GTA 6 has right now.
I'd gotten tired of things before, such as in Season of Mastery where I only got a toon or two to L12-ish before stopping, and Season of Discovery where I enjoyed the First Phase and then once the Second Phase hit I stopped playing and returned to Era.
Anniversary was a bit different, given that the only effective change to the Anniversary servers (from my perspective) was that the progression was accelerated, but I maintained my perspective by spreading out the leveling across so many toons. There was the additional aspect to the Anniversary servers that the gear and the quests hadn't changed, so it wasn't like I was going to be deluged by videos about it on YouTube (WillE being the main exception).
This time around, however, it certainly seems like everybody is on board the train, and I'm sitting here watching all this hype and saying "Nope, I'm out." I'm going to wait until the crowd is gone and then I'll see if I want to hop on. It's entirely possible I'll either stay on the Anniversary servers or just go hang out on Era.
My Questing Buddy has been thinking about taking a step back herself, as her guild leader quit their raid and guild to go to Forever's beta and handed her the Guild Master duties. She's looking at potentially not getting into Sunwell again after our failure in 2022, and she's frustrated with how this has gone down. I can't say I blame her, particularly given all of the work she's gone through to get herself here.
One thing I have been wondering a bit is whether the changes over the years to the MMO genre means that they've moved on in a different direction and that maybe my MMO time is starting to draw to a close. The great beauty of single player games is that you don't have to worry about feeling "left behind" by the crowd because there's no crowd to follow. Sure, there's a dearth of actual human interaction, but you also don't have to deal with the peer pressure.
Like I said, I'm in a bit of a funk in general, and this certainly isn't helping. I've another post sometime in the next two weeks about that, but it won't appear here until I'm ready to talk about it.
One thing that caught my attention was Blizzard talking about Forever being the third game in the WoW mmo space, with retail and classic being the others. The implication that these are different ways to play WoW, they will appeal to different audiences - I imagine there will be some crossover, don't know how much.
ReplyDeletePlay the game that appeals to you. Or don't, if it doesn't... some days I'd rather read a book, so I do.
Always good advice to follow. Especially the book part, as I've started a biography of Frank Sinatra.
DeleteUnfortunately even though you know it's the right thing to do it is still so incredibly painful. So sorry about Bleu.
ReplyDeleteYeah, it's hard to do, especially when you know it's the right thing to do.
DeletePoor little Bleu :( She looked so good in the first picture :( I'm sorry.
ReplyDeleteWow Forever is it's own beast, isn't it? My spouse just talks about getting his wand back now. He's stuck with me in modern Wow, which he really dislikes, so if he likes Forever, I'll have to play. Who makes his wands? Me. Got my characters and names picked out. Hoping with the first and second naming I get a couple of my desired names. Huzzah. Atheren
Yes, guinea pigs have the habit of other prey animals, where they're fine (and pretend to be fine) up until they're really really in terrible shape.
DeleteSo, you're your husband's version of Ollivander's? Fascinating.