Wednesday, October 23, 2024

A Truly Remarkable Life

Sometimes I have this urge to post multiple times in a day, after having not a lot to talk about over a week.

Kind of just figures, right?

Several years ago, I was aware of a WoW player named Mats Steen who'd passed away back in 2014 from Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, and his parents were surprised when several of  Mats' WoW friends showed up at his funeral. The events were picked up in a story first presented for the NRK (in Norwegian) in Norway in 2019, but translated and presented on the BBC in English.

It was a touching article, and a reminder that the friends we make in MMOs impact far more people than we may never know. People like Mats are the reason why I play MMOs: not for the shinies or the achievements or the story, but for the people. I'm afraid that too many players lose sight that it is people that make these games special, and not just your buddies on a raid team. It's all about the friendships you make along the way. However, I thought that was that, and the memory of Mats faded over time.

Then I was surprised to see this pop up on my YouTube feed on Tuesday:

From BBC Channel 4.

About a minute into the interview, I realized that yes, I remembered the story of Mats, but... What is it with the animation?

Then I realized that someone (Benjamin Ree) had made a documentary about Mats, and his main, Ibelin. I quickly searched for The Remarkable Life of Ibelin and found the trailer on YouTube:



How did I not know this was coming?

The documentary releases on Netflix in the US on Friday; I was concerned it might be only watchable in Europe. It's already garnered a bunch of awards and nominations at Sundance and other film festivals, so that's a very good sign.

And yes, I checked and we have enough tissues so that when I'm ready to watch it, I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment