Friday, May 6, 2022

Is That the End of the Tunnel or...

You know you've been out of the loop when you find out a day late that Phase 5 of TBC Classic will drop next week.

My first thought was.... Really? Really?

I think I should have known Blizz would do something like this, but I'm still quite surprised that they're pushing this hard for TBC Classic to be over so quickly. 

The original length between TBC's release and Wrath's release was 22 months. If my belief that Wrath will drop in August is true, that means the Classic version between releases is 15 months, and the vast majority of that time was spent in Phase 1 and Phase 2. 

Losing 7 months because the "meta slaves", as one of my fellow Monday raiders put it, were able to stomp the previous content isn't a good way of managing the Classic environment. And Classic's problems aren't encapsulated by Blizz releasing things too slowly, but rather failing to handle balance issues between the huge population servers and the small population servers.

Myzrael-US is down 50% from the high point of September/October 2021, according to Ironforge's Classic WoW Population website, and while there's potentially a lot of causes to that, I know quite a few raiding guilds left for the larger population servers, shrinking the pool of available raiders*. Several people I know on Myz faded away from raiding and/or playing in general, and those I was able to keep in contact with did not say "gee, we're just spinning our wheels with the same raid on farm" as a reason for leaving. Far and away the largest reason for leaving TBC Classic was burnout from trying to chase the Meta as fast as possible, particularly when there's real life going on. 

It's as if Blizz and the proponents of the Meta are expecting everybody to chase a server World First all the time, and there's real life saying "Hey, remember me? Those bills won't pay themselves, and the family is expecting you to be around for things."

Perhaps that's the biggest mistake that the big players surrounding Classic have made: the expectation that people will be in a pandemic oriented and shut down world indefinitely, which did not happen.

I personally think this rush rush rush mode will blow up in the Classic team's faces, because people will get discouraged and stop raiding if they feel there's no chance of completing Sunwell before Wrath drops. When you throw that lighted match into the tinder of the arguments over the automated LFD tool, I think that the Classic team had better cool their jets and make sure they know what it is they're doing before they bow to the "rush rush rush + I'm bored" crowd. 

***

Well, there's certainly no reason for me to try to catch up now, even if I was able to miraculously get into a current raid and get every single drop in my favor --not damn likely given DKP and random rolls and whatever-- I'd still be behind on gear if Sunwell is available on next Thursday. So I'm just going to focus on doing whatever I want to do, and I guess that sometime in June or early July Karazhan will close up shop as the Meta crowd start prepping for what to do in Wrath.

I do know the Monday raid team isn't ready for Sunwell. They haven't cleared Hyjal and Black Temple, because they've been trying to catch up on gear just to get to the point of clearing both raids, and I have to believe they won't be the only team saying "Yeah, we're gonna take a pass on Sunwell for some weeks, Blizz. Nice try."



*And bodies for things such as Classic instance runs that are actual runs, not boosts.


8 comments:

  1. That's so strange. I thought the point of Classic was to go back and enjoy the content again. I thought at a leisurely pace, silly me. I liked it but I had forgotten how much content other than raiding pretty much required a group. I did enjoy sightseeing places that Cata ruined but it wasn't enough to stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About enjoying the content again, you and me both, Ancient. I guess I'll enjoy Outland more when the rush has moved on to Northrend.

      When you want to go back and do "group" content together, hit me up. I'll have us both covered as far as gear goes, especially once Wrath drops.

      Delete
  2. August is too early for Wrath. My guess is October or so. I like the "meta slaves" name. Must be the classic version of the Mythic+ people. Wow that Ironforge population site. Poor Bloodsail Buccaneers. Yowza Pagle. Maybe I should run my characters there. Just for the dungeons, of course. I like the friendly nature of Bloodsail otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think you're right, but when I heard Sunwell was in the PTR already a few weeks ago, I blurted out "You have to be ****-ing kidding me!"

      The server populations only survive with layering. My vote is to remove layering to force people off of the gigantic servers, because that would spread out the population quite a bit.

      Delete
  3. They are definitely rushing it with the TBC Classic releases. Our oceanic guild has found ourselves consistently struggling to clear the last boss of the current phase before the next one releases. We just managed to down Lady Vashj in the last week before Black Temple came out, but only managed to get KT down after he had been nerfed. And now in Black Temple, we have only just got our first Illidan kill this week, literally a day before Sunwell Plateau came out! Like your guild, we will definitely not be rushing into SWP as we still need so much gear from BT. We have also been somewhat unlucky with the drops from Mt Hyjal to the point where some people still need stuff in there.

    As for Classic WotLK, my guess is it will come out somewhere in between the August date you speculated and Atheren's October date. Perhaps late August/early September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we fell behind with terrible gear drops in SSC, so even though we've got a good bunch of raiders without the gear there's only so far you can go. And now they fell farther behind with Hyjal and it's Tremor Totem requirement for Archie, as for a while they had only two Shamans in the raid. (I think there's 3-4 now.)

      I know that the raid leads are looking into Hyjal supplements --and potentially even an SSC run or two-- and I've offered up the Saturday ZA run slot if it'll help. I'll feel bad about seeing it go, but ZA has been a headache for me given that people want a Warbear to the point of expecting to faceroll bosses without the gear requirements to do so.

      Delete
  4. Hey Red;
    Love these posts where you make me feel awesome about my play choice. Currently working on a Enh Shaman and Resto Druid combo, they're 49 now and it's a ton of fun.
    Haven't stepped into a raid for about a year now, and don't miss it a bit.

    Hang in there Red :D

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill. I've got some posts coming up soon as to what I've been up to. Let's just say that for Wrath Classic I now have options.

      Delete