Sunday, May 29, 2022

Because I Enjoy a Good Spanking

I guess I should feel grateful that I'm small potatoes --okay, more like the size of a single french fry-- in the MMO blogosphere.

After reading this post over on MassivelyOP and then Wilhelm Arcturus' rebuttal, I was certainly happy to not be in the crosshairs of the very vocal pro-LFG tool crowd. But then again, more than a few bloggers I follow have had commentary regarding the latest tempest in a teapot that is TBC Classic, so why bother posting about it this far after the announcement?

Catharsis, perhaps?

Indeed!
From Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

 

***

The automated LFD tool, when it was first released, was a godsend for people who --like me-- operated at off hours. Trying to find a dungeon group in the early morning or late at night was painful at best, and if you weren't on when your guildies were on, well... That kind of sucked. But with the tool, when you were on was suddenly no longer an issue.

Oh yeah, it still kind of was, given that the available pool of players shrank in off hours, but it was certainly better than just about nothing at all.

But like anything else, what you get out of the tool is a direct correlation to what people put into the tool. And if people are being asshats because the tool allows them to, well...

Garbage in, garbage out.

***

Perhaps it's better to step back and look at things from a larger point of view. Just what would the automated LFD tool solve in today's Classic community?

The tool as created in original Wrath was set among battleground groups* --a subset of servers in a region grouped together for random Battlegrounds-- and matched players to a selected instance, or a random instance, in either Normal or Heroic mode. Furthermore, players wouldn't have to use the meeting stones to be summoned to the location, the players would automatically be ported to the beginning of the inside of the instance itself. 

Convenience, we are it.

Regardless, the biggest problem the original LFD tool was meant to solve was getting players grouped and into instances painlessly, which most people took to mean avoiding the Trade Chat cesspool. And that's putting it politely, given that Trade Chat back then was a haven of racist and sexist material.

Think about that for a minute: WoW's Trade Chat back then, when Admins were far more numerous and attentive to players, was worse than LFG Chat in Classic is now.

Were there server balance issues? Yes, there were, but WoW was still in a growth/expansion mode, so the Battleground Groups evened things out a bit. It was only in a post-Cataclysm world, when the WoW population began to shrink, did server balance issues become a problem. I still remember how stunned I was when in 2014 I discovered that Ysera-US, one of the old WoW servers and where my Alliance toons resided on, had shrunk so far in population that it was a recommended landing spot for new players.

But before there were balance issues, grouping balance issues became a thing. As in, if you weren't a tank (or, to a lesser extent a healer) you were going to wait. A lot.

Yes, yes, I know, some things never change. 

But still, the tank problem from Cataclysm onward was severe enough that waiting for upwards of an hour or more as a DPS for a queue to pop could be maddening. And then if you ever thought about tanking so that you could avoid the wait, the abuse heaped on tanks --and to be fair, the tanks/healers would heap on DPS too-- could get pretty extreme.

I pretty much gave up on heroic instance runs in Cataclysm based on the crap slung around in normal instance runs, and by the time Mists dropped I found Battlegrounds preferable to running instances where everybody was expected to know everything and "lol L2P noob" was one of the nicer refrains I heard.

So why would we want to return to that?

***

I suppose that people in Classic who are in favor of a return of the automated LFG tool have forgotten what it was like to be learning the fights via said tool.

In my personal experience, zoning in and declaring that hey, I'm still learning this instance could be enough for at least one person to drop. Or that someone would initiate a "vote kick" against you. It might not be as bad as to have that happen all the time, but I'd say that about 1/3 of the time when I did that in Cataclysm --as a DPS-- I'd see someone attempt one of the two options. And that was for a normal instance, mind you, not a heroic. I have absolutely no idea how people behave in normals and heroics instances these days in Retail, now that mythic+ exists. I suspect that based on this thread, M+ and other instance runs are not a lovey dovey place at all. 

If everybody knows the fights and has at least a decent set of gear, then yeah, the tool can be useful for getting your badges and gearing up, but notice the "decent set of gear" part. Where to you go if you need gear to get to that "decent" level? It becomes a circular problem.

Yeah, like this.
From the Blizzard Forums.


And if your entry into running a normal instance --again, so you can learn the fights in a practical manner and get gear-- is toxic, why stick around? 

***

As a tool, the automated LFG tool does make the process of getting into an instance relatively painless. But the tool also operates as, well, an accelerant. It takes a potentially combustible situation and pours gasoline on everything, because it eliminates any sense of responsibility for your actions. 

I also believe that it is easier to overlook the problems with the LFG tool when you're in a guild. If you're in an active guild, you can get a group together, punch in the tool, and away you go. No fuss, no muss. Even if you need a single DPS, no big deal. You get in a lot quicker, you can do whatever while you're waiting, and it's a rather painless affair. 

If you pug, however.... That's when the problems begin. You have to prove yourself time and again,  and constant usage of the LFG tool is an accelerant on the process.** Make a mistake, and some people will judge you faster than middle school kids at lunch time. When it is soooo easy to just kick or leave instead of working through problems, you can bet that people will choose that option.

***

The automated LFG tool, if they were to implement it covering "Battleground server groups", would also mask other problems with the WoW Classic community, allowing them to fester without a long term resolution.

Such as server imbalance.

It needs to be said, but in the WoW Classic community the Battleground server groups are practically all the servers in a specific time zone. Which is great and all for the automated LFG tool, but when you transition to raiding.... Not so much. I've covered this before, but the reality is that the raiding scene on the smaller servers has been declining close to the point of no return, while a couple of gigantic servers are so huge because layering hides problems normally associated with them being too big: being unable to farm materials and the consequent inflation of auction house prices.

Spreading the server population out would help a LOT, because it would prevent the brain drain that is currently happening throughout TBC Classic and stretching back to the last few months of Vanilla Classic. It's one of those "it sounds great in theory" solutions that nobody seems to want to tackle head on, because it means that Blizz would have to confront one of their big cash cows: paid server transfers.

***

Do I know the answer to the automated LFG tool conundrum? 

No, but I do know that installing the solution implemented in Retail Wrath is a disaster in the making. 

What we know now about WoW as implemented in Classic, courtesy of 50 million walk through videos/podcasts/blogs/websites, would likely make people less tolerant of others, and that accelerant capability that the automated LFG tool has could be the spark that the community might not recover from.

Remembering the old definition about insanity as "performing the same actions over and over, and expecting a different result" is worth remembering right now.

Something different is called for here. Perhaps server merges, perhaps bans on toon creation/transfer to the giant servers, perhaps free transfers off of said giant servers or servers with huge faction imbalances, or even perhaps some combination of both, is worth trying. But what I do know is that simply going down the same old path and then expecting it'll all be fine is being incredibly naive.



*Thanks to Shintar for reminding me of this. I thought for the longest time that it was on individual servers, even though I did know it was among Battleground groups when it released; selective memory, I guess. I do know that with Mists and the coming of "don't-call-them-server-merges" the automated tool's reach did expand.

 

**Once, before I joined my current guild, I tagged along on an instance run of theirs. "I'm so glad we're all friends," one of the people in the run said, "because I absolutely hate pugging instances." I could understand the sentiment, but given that I got to know most of my in-game friends via pugs I felt somewhat slighted.

5 comments:

  1. I am really pleased to see the official forum comments which are mostly in favor of an LFG Tool for Classic Wrath. I like everyone who is in favor of adding this tool to the game, even if its late in Wrath, you know there's hope. I've done hundreds of pugs in the modern version of the game. Bad groups are rare, though super annoying. I think the mostly mature crowd who plays Classic can handle LFD and suddenly become rude and whacko. I'm seeing more people coming in getting ready for Wrath. Why should they get a different experience than the one they enjoyed? That said, if the LFG tool that is currently in Classic could be made workable, or if they did a version of LFD that only pulled people from your own server, I'd be happy enough with that. They need something, though. The sooner the better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think that since we're all older that we'd behave better, but this pandemic has taught me to not get my hopes up. A lot of the worst behaving people on my social media feed were the oldest people on it. I'd like to think that we as a WoW community could handle ourselves better this time around, but I'm not exactly certain about that.

      Delete
  2. Oops that was WITHOUT being coming rude and whacko.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really torn on this topic. On the one hand I don't have really bad memories (actually I distinctly remember pug healing and tanking the late 3 WotLK instances, Halls of Reflection etc and liking it) but maybe I've just pushed aside my bad experiences or maybe my battlegroup was simply better than average and same with current Shadowlands normal instances. I've run dozens of them while pushing my cadre of 12 Horde toons from 50 to 60 this spring, and 5 more from < 40 to 50 - and the bad runs could be counted on one hand, but then again it's normal and not Heroic...

    On the other hand bad pug runs can be really bad and just the few I had that were bad had me frantically ignoring everyone close to the last boss in order to never be grouped with them again. Top experience was someone trying to skip everything in the the Underrot (never seen those skips), then getting mad at the 2 people who failed the skips, kicking them, cursing, shouting, and when I (not having failed) told them that just mayyybe not everyone did this leveling dungeon 20 times and knew the skips I was kicked as well.

    And finally, M+... most people don't just leave because you kinda committed to those 30-40 minutes (unless you go over time by a lot), but if only success helps you with drops, rating, etc there's even more incentive to just bail after 10 minutes if it looks grim, despite ruining it for everyone.

    To cut a long story short, I've also had bad experiences without the dungeon finder with people from my server. This whole "reputation" thing only really works if you're interested in endgame. If it's just someone's alt doing leveling dungeons (or TBC for another attunement) they probably couldn't care less if their FOTM healer won't be invited again...

    But I've heard so many terrible stories and also quite a few good ones about pugging in general, I'm not sure the tool will really change a lot. I'm leaning towards: I prefer not waiting hours per month in the queue but endure 2 bad runs over a better chance at not having anonymous idiots in my group...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those bad pug runs stick with a person the same way that my inner writing critic constantly nags at my work, and in my case my insecurities feed on it. You never remember the 50 good runs, only the 2 bad runs in that entire pile.

      I'd like to think that things would be different this time, but based on what I see in LFG channels, I'm not so sure. We may all be older, but that just makes that assholishness all the more pathetic.

      Delete