Wednesday, September 16, 2026

About In Game Economies

So. 

EVE Online.

No, I'm not thinking of playing it, but while I was away in Milwaukee, a joint venture between Micro and How Money Works on YouTube created this video:


As soon as I saw the title, I knew it was EVE Online. I wasn't disappointed.

Now, the real query for me is what those I know who play EVE Online think of the video. Nogamara? Wilhelm?

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I had yet to read the full title of the video when I wrote that and my gut reaction to the title is "Well, duh! Every long running MMO has a wealth inequality problem because even a slacker like me accumulates wealth over time."

      But I'll still watch the video.

      Delete
    2. Every long running MMO has a wealth inequality problem because even a slacker like me accumulates wealth over time

      Just remember, you're talking to someone who doesn't have a vast fortune in Retail WoW. (I just checked my toons from my Retail days, and I've got a total of 17K gold across all of my toons, and no more than 8K on a single toon.)

      That aside, I found the parallels that they drew between the real world and EVE Online quite interesting.

      Delete
  2. At 15:39 the article pictures with the title "Conspiracy Theory – CCP is Wrecking the EVE Online Economy to Promote Cash Shop Sales" is a post from my blog.

    I distrust any economic video about EVE Online that does mention Malcanis' Law, which states that anything you do to help new player always helps older, wealthy players always benefit moreso. And the flip side, any attempt to nerf wealthy players always hurts new player more.

    Finally, the video is too soft on CCP/Fenris for causing some of the problems they then needed to solve. For example, if you played at launch rare minerals were available in high sec systems so if you built up a supply of them before they changed that you were going to be space rich once supply became tight. It was estimated that it took later players 10 years to achieve the same level of wealth that some early players were able to grab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, you commented on that post. Circle complete!

      Delete
    2. It's the Circle of Liiiiife....

      Anyhoo, I wonder how much of their research was limited by the guy who was assisting them on EVE itself. I had no clue who he was, so I wondered if you knew him.

      But the issue with the rare minerals at game launch was completely unknown to me, so that's a problem that could easily have been solved by simply replacing the rare minerals with another type of mineral, just like most other games do.

      Delete
    3. He's on the current CSM and I know him... because I just read his election profile from last year. Not a null sec guy, but has been playing almost as long as me.

      https://forums.eveonline.com/t/itaer-for-csm-20/498662

      Delete