Friday, September 20, 2024

Video Game Art: The Elder Scrolls Online

It's been a few months, hasn't it?

I figured that for this Friday, I'd like to highlight some art from The Elder Scrolls Online. ESO builds upon the lore from The Elder Scrolls video game series into an MMO in its own right, and over the past decade Zenimax has figured out how to keep the game alive after its own disastrous rollout back in the day.*

Almost all of this art comes from loading screens for the game, which works well in highlighting the style the game intents to evoke.

Can't have an ESO game without a dragon
making an appearance somewhere.


The character models look so much
better than even the Skyrim days.


This is all of the major NPCs --minus
the faction leads-- in the original game.



If you've ever seen the Morrowind expansion
trailer, you recognize these two. Of course,
the Dunmer is everybody's favorite Morag Tong
agent, Naryu.


These login screens always inspire me.


The loading screen between zones when you
fast travel have a quick overview, but I'm here
for the scenery.







Unlike World of Warcraft --and I'm including
Warlords of Draenor here-- ESO has gone all in
on housing. It's actually quite nice, as similar to SWTOR
there's a variety of houses to select all across Tamriel.




In my wandering around today, I stumbled
across this quest area that I'd never seen before.
Boy, was I out of practice on playing.


These three NPCs are found in the original trailers
for The Elder Scrolls Online. The Aldmeri makes
and appearance in the Summerset trailer, and I think
the Daggerfall Covenant rogue shows up in
another of the trailers. (Can't remember which;
maybe it was Elsweyr?)



*This seems to be a trend about MMOs that came out after WoW. Even WoW didn't have the greatest original launch, people who played back then are fond of reminding me, but still a disastrous launch is very difficult to overcome if you don't have any buildup of goodwill from potential players.







No comments:

Post a Comment