Tuesday, September 17, 2024

In Case You Were Wondering...

...I have confirmed that you can't get XP from Fishing in Retail WoW. Perhaps that isn't news to you, but I was curious enough to check since I figured that leveling by Fishing would be slower than leveling by gathering herbs or mining ore.

Bummer.

At least Eversong Forest is unchanged from TBC.

Yes, the graphics are updated in general, but by and large the quests are the same as they've ever been. The zone is filled with familiar NPCs and enemies, frozen in time.

How do I know this? I took my bank alt Rogue from 2010 or so and ran around Eversong Forest to get enough XP from exploring to reach Level 5, which is the minimum level to train the Fishing skill. I got to see all of my old peeps from around the zone. Yes, Magistrix Dawnstrider and Apprentice Mirveda are still there, as was the Dwarf near the Arcane Sanctum and Antheol's wayward apprentices at the bridge crossing.

I am quite aware that the TBC starter zones are off on their own little area, so have been completely unaffected by the Cataclysm revamp back in 2010. Additionally, there might be further phased changes to the zones so what I'm seeing is the "initial" result before, say, a Legion or Battle for Azeroth change happens. Still, not interested in finding out. (I was there for the fishing.)

If nothing else, the Blood Elf starter zones are unchanged from 2007, and that brings to me a measure of comfort in a changing world.

4 comments:

  1. Are you peeking into Retail? Atheren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm obnoxious enough to see if you could level even slower than Doubleagent, who sticks to the Pandaria starting zone and levels by gathering herbs and ore. I have absolutely no desire to see anything from Wrath onwards, and if I want to see TBC or Wrath zones I'd go login to Cataclysm Classic. But a challenge, like I did by leveling in TBC Classic by not going to Outland, is something that I can do.

      So, if I were able to get XP by just fishing outside of Silvermoon City, I'd do that. Besides, a Blood Elf in shorts and having a topknot in their hair reminds me a bit of a dark haired version of Cutter from ElfQuest. (I suppose that reference alone dates me.)

      Delete
  2. Enjoy it while you can I guess! As everyone seems to think that area will be revamped in the next expansion (Metzen did say something about going back to Quel'thalas in the BlizzCon Worldsoul Saga reveal).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By then I'm hoping that there will be a TBC Classic revival. I haven't heard much from Cataclysm Classic --outside of Wilhelm's posts-- but the number of people on my friends list actually playing Cata Classic are about 5 on a good day. Frequently Retail ties Cata Classic for the number of players, and while that might not sound good most of my Bnet Friends list grew in the heyday of Vanilla Classic in 2019 - 2021. So if Classic fans are going to Retail in as great a number as going to Cata Classic, that's not a good look for Cata Classic.

      Delete