Wednesday, December 27, 2023

The Expectation That Things Will Be Different

I don't typically care that much about award shows.

There was a time when I did, back when I used to think of myself as a film connoisseur of sorts.

(Yes, I was a snobby asshole at times.)

It was one of those things where I felt that film had the capacity to provide art on a high level --okay, it does, actually-- and that I used to watch movies for cinematography as much as the plot or the acting.*

I also kept a close eye on the SF&F awards out of WorldCon and the SFWA Con, not to mention the World Fantasy Con, because I thought that raising the bar of what SF&F could be was the way to get those genres more accepted by society at large.

So, what changed? Why did I stop caring about awards? And why bring this up at all, anyway?

***

It took my employers for me to stop caring about awards.

Or rather, what my employers did with their own awards.

Back when I worked in a small materials lab, the owner of the place during the quarterly meeting would "distribute" some awards. Since he was the arbiter of the whole thing, these so-called awards (which meant nothing) were all based on his whims. However, once I moved onto larger corporations, I thought that the awards given out on an annual basis meant a lot more, because... Well, I'm not sure why I thought that, but I felt it was going to be less personality driven and more impartial.

That first year I attended the annual all hands meeting for the software company I joined in the mid-90s I had no real opinions on, because I was still new. The next year when I attended, however, I had opinions on who had worked their asses off and who "deserved" awards. Part of the joy of working on the QA side of things was that I was exposed to most of the development teams, so I knew who was loafing it when they made code changes and who was putting in heroic levels of effort. Surely, I thought, that the people who were given awards were those that truly earned them.

Boy, was I wrong.

I discovered during that annual meeting I rarely agreed with the award recipients. In fact, about 2/3 of them came from a project that frequently broke the environment and was in such sad shape when we shipped our software that a separate Tiger Team was created to fix their buggy application.** When it worked it was great, but the critical issue was the "when it worked" part.  But because it was a highly visible project, the lion's share of awards went to people who worked on that project.

As a result, over that next calendar year several people who I thought were more deserving of those awards left the company for greener pastures.

This cycle continued over the next few years, culminating in my team winning an award in my final year with the company, and both myself and my closest co-worker left within six months for other jobs.

I then made a quantum leap in company size to the job that directly lead to what I do today, but I discovered that pettiness and other associated bullshit for company created awards just got larger as well.

That provided me the realization that awards are like certifications: they're there to make people feel good, but have no bearing upon whether you can actually do the job or not.*** I mean, does anybody remember the controversy surrounding that the first Grammy for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance when it was given to Jethro Tull for Crest of a Knave?****

From the Heavy Metal masters themselves...

***

That's not to say that people won't try to use awards and award shows for their own political ends.

There was the incident at the Academy Awards back in 1973 where Sacheen Littlefeather went on stage to explain why Marlon Brando was rejecting his award. 

And, of course, if you're familiar with SF&F, there was the Sad Puppies right wing campaign to take over the Hugo Awards from roughly 2013 through 2016. Given that the Hugo awards are popularly voted on by those with memberships to Worldcon (at the time it was something like $50) a voting bloc could buy a bunch of memberships and attempt to take over the awards in the same fashion that people in the past have voted on for All-Star teams for various sports. 

Now we have the latest controversies surrounding The Game Awards.

From the people complaining about how the award recipients had almost no time to thank their staff and dev teams to the people who wanted the award show to make a stand about the Israeli Palestine war, it seems that The Game Awards has truly arrived as an awards show.*****

It has also proved that The Game Awards' relevance as awards is pretty much corporate in nature. 

When your awards show is more concerned about providing advertisements for upcoming video games rather than celebrating the games from the past year, it shows your awards show only cares about corporate sponsorship. That is reinforced by the desire to not rock the boat politically; you could make the argument that making any political statement at all is a losing proposition as people of all stripes play video games, and wading into political waters is likely to piss off a certain group of consumers. Of course, making no political statement at all is also making a political statement, so good luck with that.

In the end, The Game Awards is corporate driven and shouldn't impact your enjoyment of what games you like, because awards and award shows aren't made for you. Even popularity contests such as the Hugos or the American Music Awards (or the MAMAs, which is the K-Pop equivalent) can't tell you what you like, because you're you. 

And you shouldn't expect your award shows to align with what you believe or advocate for, because the goal of awards and award shows are different than yours. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go play Crest of a Knave and ...And Justice For All, since I'm in the mood to hear both today. And yes, I do have both albums, thankyouverymuch.





*That was how I was introduced to Martin Scorsese, via film study class in high school. We had an assignment to break down the cinematography of a film --any film, our choice-- and I happened to catch After Hours on cable. I had no idea who the film's director was because I missed the first few minutes of the film, and the plot was so surreal that it was like a Terry Gilliam fever dream, but I absolutely loved the cinematography. I had to confess I didn't catch the director's name in my paper, but the teacher loved it anyway.

**It took them the better part of a year to stabilize things to where it was usable by our clients without crashing.

***True story: a person who literally just passed their UNIX Sysadmin certification exam came to me later in the day and asked me the following question about accessing the root user:

Him: When we su to root, what do we use?
Me: ::puzzled:: We use 'su -'.
Him: No, I mean that when other people switch to root, they use 'su -'. When we switch to root, we use....
Me: We use 'su -' too. The OS security software knows what access you have based on your group membership.
Him: ::wanders away and goes to another cubicle, where I could hear him asking the same question of someone else::
Me: ...

Before you ask, despite me being on the team for six months longer than he was, I hadn't gotten a chance to take the certification exam. And to this day, I never have.

****Even Ian Anderson used to make fun of that award, as reported to me by a college friend who went to see them in concert when Tull was touring in support of their Rock Island album.

*****That was sarcasm for those who might have missed that.

2 comments:

  1. After Hours is a very underrated movie. I could do with seeing it again.

    I've always thought the point of Award ceremonies and shows is to entertain an audience not to reward the winners. Private awards, like those given by companies to their workers, are usually just excuses to get everyone in a room together with lots of drink; public ceremonies, like the Oscars or the Grammys, are just TV entertainment shows. I've always enjoyed awards, not least because they provide one of the best sources of entertaining argument but it's self-evident they don't relate very closely to achievement let alone quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you said "it's self-evident they don't relate very closely to achievement let alone quality" I immediately thought of The Godfather Part III.

      What bums me out is that I've seen how petty the popularity contests can be; anybody who follows the votes for Prom King/Queen at an American high school can tell you that one. Once I realized that award shows wanted to emphasize that pettiness because eyeballs equals ratings, I kind of tuned out. I'm not looking for kumbaya, but rather a shared experience for all. Oh well.

      Delete