Friday, July 29, 2022

Ending Those Joyous Journeys

If you're like me and try to avoid unnecessary buffs/boosts whenever possible*, the advent of the so-called "Joyous Journeys" 50% XP buff to TBC Classic probably has you a bit annoyed. Another annoyance is that you can't right-click on the buff itself to remove it whenever you want to, unlike most of the other buffs you acquire.

Well, I stumbled on the solution to this problem:

The Innkeepers.

You can select any Innkeeper you want, and guess what the options are:

I guess that player right next to Card is
into Iron Maiden.

Well well well...

Thank goodness.

You click on it, and at first it appears to do nothing. Until you hover over the Joyous Journeys buff....

Ah... Better.

You can go back and talk to the Innkeeper again and re-enable the buff:

And there it is.



I can also inform people that WoW does in fact remember to keep the buff set to 0% if you logout and log back in again, so you don't have to disable it every single time you relog.





*Not because of "hardmode" but because of the potential for outleveling zones/areas so quickly I never get the chance to properly finish an area before I shoot past the recommended level range. Well, there might be a bit of "hardmode" to it as well, and more than a bit of stubbornness involved.

10 comments:

  1. Yeah, I saw that when someone on reddit posted about it, mocking the idea that anyone would actually want to use this feature. Good on Blizzard though for giving people that option nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently that person never heard of purists, for example.

      Delete
    2. It just occurred to me that when the buff to taking out Arthas was first introduced in ICC it caused more than a bit of controversy, so from 2010 to 2022 apparently everybody everywhere is just fine with random buffs like this? And people are mocked for not taking it? I mean, if I could turn off the tuning done in SWTOR and go back to where leveling in the OG was slow enough that you don't shoot past a planet's story --level wise-- it'd be really nice. I know my son thinks the same way.

      Then again, if you think the game begins at max level, then anything that lets you skip all of the content inherent in TBC Classic and head straight to Quel'Danas --without paying for it via boosts or a cash shop option-- is apparently "fine".

      Delete
    3. Oh, you actually went to dig for it! I was originally going to link it but couldn't find it again after a quick look around. As you can see, it's no literary masterpiece. :P

      Delete
  2. I don’t find the xp boost in TBC to be noticeable, but I sure wouldn’t turn it off! I have at least four characters I’d like to get to max before Wrath releases. Wish me luck! Atheren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take it back. Outlands characters get heaps of extra. Characters not there yet are still in slog time. I missed the part where it was only Outlands folks.

      Delete
    2. No, the buff is there in the Old World too, it's just not as noticeable at first. The leveling grind, even with the tweaking to XP in the 30s through the 50s, still is a grind.

      Delete
  3. I think the strangest thing about this is that Blizzard opted for a relatively simple method by which to toggle it on and off. I mean, they hid it at the inn keeper and probably buried it in the patch notes, but still, this is simplicity itself for a Blizz mechanic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth. Given the general consensus among people I know in game --that Blizz would never allow someone to turn it off-- I'm surprised they hid it as well as they did.

      Delete