Sunday, July 24, 2022

And On The Other Side

It's a safe bet to claim that Cardwyn is the toon I love the most, and doubtless due in no small part to my attempts at writing fiction, but of my old toons, it's pretty much a tie between Neve and Quintalan.

Since that's the case, I created Neve on the Wrath Classic Beta because I'm more familiar with a Mage than a Paladin at the moment.*

I accidentally selected a more auburn hair color for Neve than brown, but I'll handwave it off to being out in that Outland sun all the time.

Of course you can't tell what her
hair color is with that helm on. /sigh


Since I knew the drill on creating a Beta version of Cardwyn, I opened up talent trees and filled in all the Frost tree that I could. Then, I set about filling in my bar and...

"Where are my portals/teleports?" I blurted out loud.

Blizz kind of missed them when they created a Beta L70 for Neve. Card may have only been missing the ports for The Exodar, but Neve was missing ALL OF THEM.

So, my first hour in Wrath Classic Beta on the Horde side was spent shuttling back and forth to the various capital cities --plus Stonard and Shattrath-- and collecting the port/teleport spells.

Then it was back to Orgrimmar and onto a zeppelin bound for Northrend.

My first trip to Northrend back in original Wrath was not to Borean Tundra, but rather to Vengeance Landing, the Forsaken outpost on the other side of the continent. Why? Because Souldat, my erstwhile co-blogger, thought it was more interesting than Borean Tundra. So I flew in to Vengeance Landing, and tagged along with Soul and his wife while we quested. Although to be perfectly honest, I fell behind on questing as they were cruising along --Soul was about midway through the L70s at least, and his wife was a couple of levels higher than me-- and I just kind of made a mental note to go back on my own and make up for the quests I hadn't finished.**

Although it wasn't my first time into Northrend, when I did hop on Quintalan some days afterward and actually ride to Warsong Hold, it was obviously the far more dramatic entrance into Northrend. And it stuck with me all these years later.

So here was Neve's chance to have that big dramatic entrance, and she as a decorated Magistrix made the most of it.

She was originally stuck with a kodo
--a kodo!-- and I made a slight
detour and corrected that.

The foghorn sounding as the zeppelin
comes to a stop still gives me a thrill.

"Yeah, about that. Can I please
report to Saurfang instead?"

Walking through the Hold...

...because that's what is expected of a Magistrix.

"High Overlord, requesting permission to put
Young Hellscream in the corner for a time out."
"/sigh Request denied."
"Damn. How about a good spanking?"
"Really, Magistrix?"
"Sorry."


*I'm pretty sure that Linna is feeling a bit pissed by that observation.

**Now you know where my reticence toward "holding back" people I'm grouping with comes from. That ol' Midwestern "I'd rather not be a bother to people" thing.


5 comments:

  1. Oh, that brings back the memories! I had forgotten when Sasche my Undead Warlock reached Wrath. Now I want to go wander around there and sightsee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, more than dealing with the meta, I just loved the place.

      Delete
  2. Interesting, I have no real memories of that zeppelin approach. The main thing I remember when I think back to my hunter questing in Borean Tundra for the first time was that the bug respawns outside Warsong Hold were absolutely insane and that I died a couple of times because they kept popping up again faster than I could kill them.

    In terms of cinematic entrances, I only remember my nelf priest riding the boat to Howling Fjord on Alliance side and how it went between the cliffs (which did look very cool).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I remember those bug respawns and being overwhelmed when I tried doing it by myself because it was waay early in the morning in the Eastern Time Zone on a West Coast server.

      Ah yes, I forgot about the boat approach for the Howling Fjord. I'll have to check that one out too. Probably create Linna and have her go that way.

      Delete
    2. Make sure you look up as you sail in.

      Delete