Saturday, April 15, 2023

It's All Filler in the End

Given that for almost a decade I never bothered to update the header to Parallel Context, it feels a bit weird to have people comment whenever it changes.

To be honest, I'd really like to have a series of headers that are rotated through every time you access PC like what Rav has on her blog Ravalation*, but I also recognize that it's likely a Wordpress plugin that she's using. And Blogger gets less than minimal support from Google anyway, which drives me nuts because if there was even a little bit of support Blogger would be a fantastic platform. Of course, if Google actually did what they usually do they would have pulled the plug after a couple of years when they realized they weren't gonna make a quick buck on the platform, over a decade ago. 

So.... Yay that they're not paying attention to Blogger?

Without a plugin to use I've tried building a GIF that cycles through 3 or 4 screenshots, but if you want something resembling decent quality you have to pay for it. And really work your ass off to get over the learning curve (::cough:: Gimp ::cough::). Besides, I'm not dropping a ton of money on something like Photoshop just to make a few GIFs. 

This would have been one of the pics
I'd have used in that GIF or plug-in.
If nothing else, Guild Wars 2 has some
fantastic graphics. And yes, Mikath
is yet another redheaded bearded guy.


***

All that's past is prologue, I suppose.

I changed the header of Parallel Context this time around because I wanted to distance myself from Wrath Classic a bit. No, I'm not planning on dropping Wrath Classic, it's that I'd rather see something on the header that brings back fond memories rather than resentfulness. I had to learn that one the hard way by stubbornly sticking to my TBC Classic header cadence just because that was the current phase of the expansion. So this time, since I'm not planning on raiding anymore** I decided to plop in a graphic from a more pleasant memory, Blackwing Lair. Blizzard's Season of Mastery used that graphic when BWL was released, so while it's not from an actual raid the picture still brings back a memory of the time when our best Mage pulled threat on Chromaggus and wiped the raid. We collectively laughed our asses off when that happened, because no more than 5 minutes beforehand the tank had boasted that he wasn't gonna have any problems with threat on ol' Chromag, and one of the Mages proved him wrong in the blink of an eye.

It was also a time before TBC Classic, when the raid split up into two and both doubled down on the hardcore route. Compared to TBC and Wrath Classic, those WoW Classic raids were just, well, fun. 

Feels kind of weird seeing this graphic.
I tried using this as a background for a short
while but it was far too busy. This was even
before my (brief) raiding career.

***

One thing that I have found is that I still enjoy the Classic leveling dungeons far more than I have a right to. Kind of like how if you're in a group that isn't wearing a ton of heirloom gear*** you can't simply steamroll over the content, you have to work at it. Plus the background to a lot of these Classic dungeons are fantastic, such as the quest lead-ins to The Deadmines or exploring an entire freaking city in Blackrock Depths. Now that I've been around the block more than my share of times, I do find that some of these old leveling instances in MMOs to be the most fun for me, such as Mandalorian Raiders and Athiss in SWTOR, the Garth Agarwen and Great Barrow instance clusters in LOTRO, and The Sanctum of Burning Souls in Age of Conan.

Sith Inquisitors are the Warlocks
(aka Purple Mages) of the SWTOR universe.

Maybe I should stop being so narrow-minded and spice things up a bit with a greater variety of headers from a greater variety of games. And not just MMOs, either...

The inner cover of the old Moldvay
D&D Basic Set. Willingham's artwork still
holds up to this day.





*If you reload her blog you'll see the header pic changes each time. I'm jealous. (Oh, and yes, it's HTTP, not HTTPS. Rav is still around, but hasn't updated the blog in ages.)

**Maybe the occasional Vault of Archavon, because it's pretty simple to do.

***Until I finally reached max level for the first time back in 2009-2010, I used to complain about the unfair advantage that heirloom gear gives a player compared to those without heirloms. I mean, you not only have to be max level to buy them, but you have to have enough badges from running heroic group content at max level to afford them; you can't just walk in and buy them with gold. Then, when you get them, you have a built in advantage of having gear that "levels" in quality with you. Still, a couple of my toons do have heirloom gear because they do make it easier to forget about trying to scrounge for the best gear on several of your item slots while questing out in the field. And this is coming from someone who tends to forget about selecting talents on a talent tree for, oh, five levels' worth of talents at a time.

EtA: Corrected some grammar.

7 comments:

  1. These days, I pretty much never see anyone say anything good about Wordpress. It's always complaints about how whatever the latest thing WP has done is terrible. I'm really glad Google seem to have forgotten Blogger even exists. Benign neglect is the best thing that can happen to any app or service that's already doing what you want it to do - when do "improvements" ever actually improve anything?

    That said, one day someone at Google is going to notice Blogger's still running and put a stop to it. I'm not sure what I'll do then because I can't see WP as any kind of viable alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's a "pick your poison" scenario at this point: the platform that people now dislike due to constant changes and monetization, or the platform that hasn't had a real update in a decade or more.

      I figure that when Google+ shut down and Google didn't go after Blogger too, I guess that showed exactly how much effort it took to keep Blogger running: almost nothing.

      Delete
    2. Hey, let's not forget that they updated the post editor a couple years ago! And after a few teething problems I thought that was ultimately a good update.

      I hope if Google ever decides that Blogger doesn't make enough money, they'd ask for money before shutting it down, because I'd quite happily pay to keep my blog.

      Delete
  2. There's definitely a way to have randomised banners on Blogger as well - my friend Cal set it up on his blog "Galactic Antics" so the image on the right side of the header changes every time you refresh, though I don't know the technical details of how it was done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no doubt there is a way of doing it, but you likely have to manually create it. There is no readily available plugin for such an item, and without Blogger providing a central clearinghouse of plugins and mods you'd have to either play with it yourself or trust an untrusted mod/plugin from a third party source.

      Delete
  3. I liked the Ulduar graphic. It seems so old school science fiction-y. No plans to raid of course. Atheren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that if I hadn't been recruited into a raid team I would likely have not cared so much. After all, I had a positive impression of Ulduar up until I actually set foot in the place. And then... Well, your comment about it being straight out of SF is dead on, Atheren. I know a lot of people mark Cataclysm as the switchover from Original to Modern WoW, but my money is on Ulduar. It is an inflection point in the storyline.

      But yeah, were it not for me being in the raid and then having the raid team blow up I would have likely kept the Ulduar header up.

      Delete