Wednesday, July 7, 2021

A Brief Glimmer

Shintar, over at Priest with a Cause, posted today about her experiences lately in TBC Classic. In their own way, they provide a counterweight to my own impressions of the expac, given that while I started from L1, she was able to go to Outland from the moment the Dark Portal opened only to discover some of the same feelings of FOMO that I was experiencing. But as she explained in her post, what she thought initially was just FOMO has turned out to be something else, where her relationship with her guild has not been what she thought it would be when TBC Classic dropped. In its own way, her guild and my own are doing similar things, where they spend most of their time working on their individual checklists rather than enjoying the game as it is. 

And in both of our cases, it can be an alienating experience, realizing that your relationship with your guild isn't where you thought it was.

In her case, she feels she's treated as just another flavor of the month Hunter, and some people in guild can't even remember her name right. That matches a similar situation I find myself in, where people can't remember that Card is no longer my main. 

Once every couple of days I get a whisper from somebody saying that they miss running or raiding with me, but then in the next breath they say they're just too busy with other things. Well, out of game issues I understand, but in game? That's a choice that you make. You can make yourself feel better by a drive by hello, but the reality is that you have control over what you do in game. To have all of your boxes checked prior to entering Gruul's Lair or Karazhan is placing a lot of pressure on yourself.

Of course, there are limitations to that. A Mage will have to acquire tanking gear before they step foot into Gruul's Lair, and a tank will have to get enough of the right type of gear to make it even worth their while entering into the Phase 1 raids. But chasing 9/9 pre-raid BiS slots with a vengeance? Or getting all the patterns for Enchanting? Or who you hang with in game? That's a choice you make.*

***

I have some friends in game that I miss, not because they're not playing or anything, but because they server transferred. I was assured that they left because they felt the larger server would work better for them, but I can't help but think that if I had the chance to spend more time with them they might not have considered transferring so much.

At the same time, there's only so much of me to spread around. I have to make decisions based on the time I have, and I have to live with them.

***

I was contemplating all that when we were preparing for last night's Karazhan raid. We had almost enough people for two raids, but we ended up having to get a couple of puggers to fill the last two slots. We were trying to find a healer when I ran into one of our regular raiders from our Saturday Night Blackwing Lair runs. We hadn't spoken since the series of raids had ended, so we were catching up on what we'd been up to and I noticed that she was at L70, so I asked if she'd gotten into Kara yet. 

"No," she replied, "I'm geared and ready to go but no luck."

I blinked. 

"You know, we're in need of an extra healer for Monday night," I said. "Would you be interested?"

Her reaction was somewhere along the lines of "hell yes!", so she hopped onto our Discord and immediately signed up. 

Shortly thereafter another regular from our BWL and AQ20 runs also hopped on to sign up as melee DPS. 

Problem solved.

But as the raid approached, I grew nervous. This was not only going to be my second time entering into Karazhan, but a first as an actual lead for the place. And you can only read/watch so much before you have to go out there and actually get into the raid and do it. Thankfully, however, the overall lead was the lead for all of those ZG/AQ20/BWL raids I'd done over the last several months, and once we started I began to relax. It wasn't the same raid, but it was the same person. 

She did a fantastic job distilling a fight to the most basic components, and while it was a learning experience for about close to half of the raid, it felt so much better and smoother than last week's run. Even when a disconnect zapped my macro for handling loot, we just rolled with it.

We got what is supposedly hardest opera event, the Wizard of Oz, and wiped twice, but the third attempt was as smooth as butter. We accidentally pulled Moroes early and wiped, but we recovered the next time. 

And there was one memorable trash pull where everybody went down except for the Warrior tank, the Pally healer above, and me. We had three of those arcane creatures on us, and the tank kept aggro while the Pally healer kept him alive, and I improved my positioning enough that I didn't take damage so I could DPS down the trash. "I thought we were going to have a wipe," the raid lead admitted. 

"I thought so too," I replied. "But that was an awesome job tanking!"

"An awesome job healing, you mean," the tank replied.

"Hell yeah!" And if I hadn't run into her randomly out in the Old World, that pull would have turned out completely different.

At the end, we hung around late --because of some trash wipes-- and we killed the Prince on our second try. It felt.... well... like we knew what we were doing. Even though I'll admit that I didn't.

Afterward, I sent the raid lead a message via Discord that she did a great job, and that I really missed this over the past month of leveling alone. I got a thanks as an acknowledgement, but really that message was as much for me as it was for her. I really had missed our regular raids together, with some of the regulars across several guilds, and how we came together and had fun.**

***

It felt... good.

Like I wrote to the raid lead, it was the best I felt in game in a month.

It doesn't cover up a host of faults I've discovered about this expac and how people are pursuing it, but it did provide a welcome respite from the in-game shenanigans. It also gave me some hope that perhaps I won't have to take the drastic route and leave the guild (at minimum) just to find my place in TBC Classic. There's still a couple of months of Phase One ahead of us, but this is the first glimmer of hope I've had in a while, and for now I'm holding onto it.



*One of the people I knew from Classic, upon hearing a gratz aimed at everybody in his guild who made it to L70 within two weeks, quipped about "that was only the 'no life' crew that sprinted to L70." To which I laughed.

**This doesn't mean I suddenly started liking Karazhan; I haven't. It's just that I liked the raid itself rather than what we were raiding.

4 comments:

  1. But chasing 9/9 pre-raid BiS slots with a vengeance? Or getting all the patterns for Enchanting? Or who you hang with in game? That's a choice you make.

    Gotta say that paragraph hit me hard, oof. The really sad thing is that I think many people don't even realise the choice they're making. As in, they don't go "OK, I'll be binge-running dungeons for the next week and not talk to any of you, see you on the other side!", but just take it for granted that they can ignore everyone and nothing will change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that hit you so hard, Shintar.

      I was actually thinking of someone else at the time, who had been chasing a specific piece of gear in The Botanica, and had been chain running the instance for hours. After seeing this hour after hour, I finally intervened and whispered that he should just go to bed.

      "But I really need that, and this is the time I can run with a friend of mine, so...."

      "DUDE... Listen to me... Go. To. Bed. That instance will still be here in the morning, and when you next login. Stop doing this to yourself. The world isn't going to end if you stop for the night."

      He eventually agreed to stop after the run he was in, but as I'd logged for the night I have no idea if he truly did stop.

      And there have been other examples, too. People spending all their time farming Motes or recipes, or another person I know who chain ran another instance well past 10+ run to get the gear they wanted.

      I suppose it's all good, because they post their gear in GChat, and people laud them for their success. But me... I just look at it and think that it only encourages people to burn it all down to the ground in pursuit of something you'll replace in a month or two.

      Delete
  2. Original TBC, in a guild run by husband and wife team. She'd started running a shaman alt, and wanted the trinket from Black Morass. Every day for a week we chain ran that, happily so, she wanted it, people were getting rep, whatever, having fun. Trinket finally drops, she's happy.

    2 days after it drops, we're trying to attune a new recruit. She's asked to run BM for the Kara chain. "I've ran that thing too many times, I don't care who needs it, I'm not going back".

    Gave her some heat in guild chat, then went to Officer chat. Explained the complete bullshit her argument was, that it took multiple people running that instance to get her the trinket that she so desperately 'needed' on her alt, that as a guildie, let alone the co-gm, you should participate in kind.

    Standing her ground, declared this is 'her' guild and if I didn't like it, I could leave. Stupid enough to post that on the guild website, where everyone joined in and turned into a massive departure from the officership and a ton of the rank and file. Enough had left that a guild rather spontaneously formed and we were able to hit Kara that week with 2 groups, scarcely missing a beat.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like what Robert Ingersoll said about Abraham Lincoln, "Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power."

      And I guess she revealed who she really was.

      Delete