Wednesday, January 4, 2023

New Year, New Labor

Microsoft is now a company with a union.

Zenimax, which we gamers know more for Elder Scrolls Online and Bethesda in general, has had their QA testers vote to join the Communications Workers of America. Unlike certain other tech companies, Microsoft "officially" remained neutral on this vote. Since they decided to not oppose the union, I suppose one could take it as a tacit endorsement of unionization for the QA people, who are frequently among the lowest paid of the development staff.*

I honestly have no idea if this will change anything, but we'll see.




*Source: I worked in software QA for five years.

2 comments:

  1. Very good news. While I hope it's the beginning of a trend, I am a bit worried that it's only not been pushed back on because of the merger. We'll see how contract negotiations go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I would like to think that Microsoft --of all developers-- understands the importance of QA, but I'm likely being overly optimistic.

      Delete