Monday, December 20, 2021

Some Monday Updates

Well....

The first Classic Throwback raid was a bust. 

Too many people said "hey, great idea, but I can't attend this week," and that lack of signups killed off the BWL run.

So, I'm going to give it a try in January.

***

In other news, the holidays are almost here, and that means Winter festivals galore in MMO space.

I still am somewhat ambivalent about those, but I have to acknowledge that a festival or celebration around the time of the Winter Solstice has been around in our (real) history for thousands of years, so we pretty much expect one when we participate in something akin to an MMO or RPG. 

I still enjoy this.


And yes, the Elf reference still makes me chuckle.

***

Finally, the gang is all here.

My youngest arrived back home just before midnight on Saturday, straight from Chicago and a music convention* there, so now the entire family is back together. Just in time for me to get a cold.

Oh yay.

I've finally turned the corner today, but it still sucked to have to isolate myself for a couple of days.

But hey, we're all back together --until the UofL bowl game, that is-- and I'm going to enjoy this time with all seven of us.

Seven?

Yeah, seven. Because we now have two extra family members:

Amazingly enough, they stood
still for this photo.

Say hello to Athena and Artemis. My oldest adopted them late last Summer, and I am now a guinea pig grandpa. I've gotten used to this concept, and after my hospital stay the three of us now compete for the same leafy greens that are stored in the fridge.

I guess that makes me part guinea pig at this point.





*Her major is Music Therapy, and she is also a member of the University of Louisville Marching Cards. So we have two mini-Reds who have been part of a university marching band as well as wind ensembles and chamber orchestras. Yes, I'm a proud papa.


9 comments:

  1. OMG guinea pigs! We used to have guinea pigs when I was a kid, and all the way until I left for the UK. They are seriously the cutest and most underrated pets. Hope to see more pics of these newest members of your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make sure to take more!

      They recognize people's footfalls coming up the stairs now, and they start "wheeking" as soon as we get a couple of steps up. My oldest gets them out occasionally to run around a portable caged area downstairs, and one time I walked over after grabbing a drink of water from the kitchen to have Athena walk up to me, look for a second, and then start "wheeking" as loud as she could. "Hey, I don't have any food on me," I protested.

      Delete
  2. Guinea pigs are great. They vary hugely in personality, though. I had several as a child. One was perky and confident, one was slow and dim and the others were so shy you could hardly tell they were there. My friend had a couple for several years until recently and they were both completely different from each other, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Athena is definitely the more dominant of the two, but Artemis, while more timid, is also a bit of a stinker. If Athena isn't looking, Artemis will steal a piece of Athena's food and take off with it.

      Delete
  3. Hope you have a great holiday and say hello to your two new family members!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Squeeeeek! I *love* guinea pigs! We had a series of them while I was growing up. When I was in college (living at home and commuting), the guinea pig was my special pet. I want to get some for my kids one of these summers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they are so cute when they have the zoomies or the popcorn going!

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas Red, and thanks for another awesome year of reads!

    All the best to you and yours, now including the furry critters :D

    Bill

    ReplyDelete