Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Letters from Outland Part 3

Dear Card--

Things have been hectic for me, so it's been a while since my last letter home. I'm currently sitting in a tavern called The World's End, located in the slums of Shattrath City, having a drink while a band plays on a makeshift stage.

Yes, that is an ogre behind me. No, he
didn't try to eat me.

 

Everything is makeshift in the slums here, formally called the Lower City, where refugees from the numerous conflicts across Outland have congregated. The denizens of Lower City share a commonality* that transcends their original alliances, be it Horde, Alliance, Avian, or even the Burning Legion, and have bonded together for their own survival. Yes, you read that right; some ex-members of the Burning Legion can be found here, as apparently the Legion doesn't take too kindly to people who defect.

Speaking of defections, I was not expecting to find Sindorei who were formerly allied with Illidan in this City.

The Horde allied Sindorei are one thing, but apparently a large group of Sindorei who were among Kael'Thas Sunstrider's best and most powerful people defected to the service of the Naaru here.

They may look like fancy lights, but
the people who have seen them defend
the city speak of their power in hushed tones.

 

Oh yes, there are these, well, things called the Naaru that alternately rule and protect Shattrath City. They showed up right as things looked very very bad for the Draenei, and the Draenei took one of their... ships? to Azeroth. I've been told by Zarleigha that it crash landed on an island near Teldrassil; you might want to go investigate if you've some time.

Anyway, I arrived in the city looking for assistance for the Expedition, and I found it. 

According to Zarleigha, most of the Draenei were slain when the Orcs abandoned the old ways and embraced the Burning Legion, but you'd never believe it if you came to Shattrath City first.


Draenei are everywhere, including their High Priestess.

And naturally, I almost interrupted
a prayer session. I need to work on being quieter.

But don't be fooled; Shattrath is not only a refuge from the fighting outside its borders, it is also a staging area for the fight against the two common enemies: Illidan and the Legion.


And wonder of wonders, I found someone that we in Stormwind were certain we'd never see again: Khadgar.

He looks smaller than his statue makes
him out to be.

No, I didn't mention Mistress Evelyn or Elsharin to him, but he was polite enough with me that he summoned an arcane servant to show me around. 

 

I think he meant it to be strictly complimentary, but I found enough tension in this place that I'm surprised there hasn't been fighting in the streets.


 


 

That... thing on the left is an ethereal.
No, I have no idea how they got here.

That brings me to the oddest part about this place: were it not for the Naaru here, I'm sure that Shattrath would have been destroyed. Not from enemies, per se, but from within. The Naaru themselves hold everything together politically, but just barely. If you recall the tension within Elwynn when the Defias were at their height of power, it's kind of like that. Only worse. 

It's not like the Draenei don't have a beef against the Sindorei here; they were enemies who invaded and slew their kind, and here they're forced to play nice in service of a greater cause. And the Sindorei are apparently nursing some major abandonment issues caused by the fall of Quel'Thalas and how they were treated by Lordaeron afterward. I imagine Elsharin knows more, but I don't think it's a wise idea to broach that topic with her. 

But I've discharged my current duties and word is that I'm to be heading out to points east of the city. Some of the Legion's allies are in the surrounding forests, and I presume I'm going to be helping to assault their positions.

I heard from Jas that a few of your friends stopped by to try to recruit you to come to Outland, but I'm glad you're staying put for now. I will keep an eye out for some of them here, but no guarantees. This place is larger than I thought it would be.

Be well, and write soon!

--Linna

 


*See? I can also use those words that Mistress Evelyn drilled into our heads during our lessons.


2 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying Linna's take on, well, everything about Outland.

    I've always thought that the Draenei and the Sin'dorei could have been great friends if only the story that Blizzard wanted to tell to put them into opposite factions hadn't rather artificially made them into enemies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kamalia. I really appreciate your kind words on this, and yes, I totally agree with you. If Blizz wanted to, they could have easily changed the dynamics of the game to prevent toons from being monolithic in either Alliance or Horde, but they went the route of "If you're XXX race, you're here in this bit bucket."

      Delete