Tuesday, March 1, 2022

The Curse of Cassandra's Foresight

There are times when it feels strange, knowing the future. 

Sure, there are plenty of times where I play a game more than once, such as Baldur's Gate, and I know what will happen. And that doesn't bother me much, even though I know I'll end up making the same story selections in spite of plenty of incentive to do otherwise.* 

Even playing WoW Classic and visiting places such as Theramore, knowing what happens to them in Retail, doesn't bother me too much because I just simply refuse to accept the Retail storyline from Cataclysm forward. I just look on that as a story in need of a massive reboot and retelling, because of poor decisions made by Blizzard to.... what? Look edgy? Provide drama? Give the faction leaders something to do? Make more money by placing the story in novel/comic form, and going off the rails by focusing solely on faction leadership?

Sorry, got sidetracked there.

But still, there are times when I read the in game story for someone such as Illidan, known to just about everyone else as The Betrayer, and think that he got a raw deal.

In this timeline, Illidan's end comes as the final boss in Black Temple, and think of everything he gets screwed out of along the way:

  • A suitor for Tyrande, and loses out to his own brother (Malfurion).
  • A powerful (arguably the most powerful and influential) Highborne Mage, and loses the Well of Eternity due to the War of the Ancients.
  • Tries to play the Burning Legion by "going over" to their side and then sticking a metaphorical knife in their backs at a critical juncture in the War of the Ancients. As a result, is trusted by no one.
  • Creates a second Well of Eternity to restore the Well to its original glory, and is imprisoned.
  • Is sprung from prison by Tyrande and Malfurion to assist with the Burning Legion, is turned into a demon by the Skull of Gul'dan so he could defeat a dreadlord, and is banished by Malfurion.
  • Tries to play both sides once more by feigning allegiance to the Burning Legion, and is given the thankless task of defeating the Lich King. (He fails.)
  • Turns against the Legion on arriving in Outland, but in the end becomes yet another Overlord of Outland who ruins the damn place.

Getting screwed out of your love, your craft, your people, etc., will tend to make a person bitter. Since he tended to exercise bad judgement in service of a good cause, I frequently see him as an Azerothian version of Albrecht Dürer's Melancholia.

Been there, Melancolia.
Oh, I've been there.
From the Google Art Project via Wikipedia.

 

It's kind of ironic that, for decades, I've kind of identified with the personification of Melancolia as she broods over inspiration. Being in awe over people who have that creative spark and can seemingly summon it at will, it always helps to know that waiting for inspiration to strike is not merely a pastime of the rest of us, but also afflicts the gifted.

But I can see a character such as Illidan in this print, particularly when he is seen in the BC trailer, brooding over the Skull of Gul'dan in a Hamlet-esque way. His inspiration only led him so far, to making bad decisions that he has to reflect upon for the rest of his life. 

Which is coming to an end at the conclusion of Phase 3.

***

On days like yesterday, when I stumbled across a post in Blizzard Watch about alternate Hearthstone skins that shine a window on what could have been in the Warcraft universe. Such as Illidan as a Sabertender, or Anduin as a heartthrob (or an SI:7 operative). 

I think that Cardwyn could get behind
the SI:7 Anduin. (From Blizzard Watch.)

But what attracted me most was seeing Festival Jaina. Not that it's interesting on its own merits, but that she's happy.

I could definitely see Jaina at my envisioning
of the Goldshire Harvest Festival. Minus
Cardwyn's 'Pig Incident' as an adolescent.
(From Blizzard Watch.)

 

I can't recall when I've ever seen her happy before, and if there's someone who definitely fits the bill as a gloomy Eeyore-esque Mary Sue type, it's Jaina.

Uh... Let me explain that part.

She (and Thrall) are both Mary Sues (or is that Mary Sue and Marty Stu) in that they seem to be magically free of weaknesses, are über-powerful**, and they skate along in the Warcraft universe whereas just about everyone else seems to die off or be corrupted. And that's not even talking about Jaina having a blue dragon for a boyfriend. I guess you can tell that the two of them are the favorites of Blizzard simply because they take a licking and keep on ticking. 

That doesn't mean that all is peaches and cream for Jaina, because Blizz has spent a lot of time trying to throw tons of emotional and physical tragedy in her direction. It's almost as if Blizz is trying to say "No, she's NOT a Mary Sue at all! See? She's constantly buffeted by tragedy! She can't help but dwell on her failures!" 

This art, however? What I see in her face is someone who has cautiously let her guard down for a while. It's not relief, nor is it abandon, but more of an "yeah, I can do this for a while", with a bit of strain still on the cheeks and her smile.

She's freed from her shackles for a while.

***

Ironically enough, that freedom from shackles was something that Illidan was never able to achieve. I looked at Jaina's portrait and instead of just saying "Oh, nice" and moving on, I thought of Illidan instead.

And Johnny Cash.

I suppose I should have said Trent Reznor, since I was thinking of Johnny Cash's version of Hurt, but I honestly do prefer Cash's interpretation more than Reznor's Nine Inch Nails original. 


 

When the Cash version was released, I was still in my early 30s, with three small kids, a wife who suffered from depression, neighbors who judged us by whether we went to the right schools or played the right sports or went to the right church***, and I didn't know how we were going to survive long term. 

Cash's Hurt changed Reznor's young adult spiraling into addiction into an older person at the end of their life, watching things fade away. The lines "I wear my Crown of Thorns upon my liars chair" and "everyone I know goes away in the end" spoke to my existential angst at the time, and in some small way it helped me realize that I'm not the only one who struggles, who has guilt and regrets. I've returned to Hurt from time to time when I'm feeling low, just so I can rekindle that realization once more in a therapeutic fashion.

But a character such as Illidan doesn't have that catharsis. He is our catharsis, if we only let him in. And I can't help but feel his tragedy when I'm roaming around in Outland, questing, although I should be thinking about other things. I know the future of this place, and it saddens me that I am unable to change it. Like how I know what is coming, Wrath of the Lich King, and I know that all of the excesses such as Gearscore and automated LFG will be there with it, and I'm powerless to stop it.

Questing, thinking, and listening are therapeutic, but only once we accept things that we cannot change.



*Such as in Stardew Valley, where I have soft spots for Penny and Leah.

**Without any real limits. Or at least it seems to be the case.

***Narrator: They didn't.

6 comments:

  1. Those Hearthstone portraits are cute!

    And I wonder if you'd still view Illidan the same way if you'd played through the content featuring him in Legion...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I still can't get over Jaina; she's a completely different person, even though it's such a tentative looking grin out of her, like she doesn't really want to go all in.

      Oh, I've no doubt about that, but since I'm not planning on doing so, I'm just leaving Illidan as is. The irony is that I'm sure there's mental gymnastics involved to even have him there for Legion to begin with, because we did kill him (well, a metaphorical 'we', although I soloed it on Tomakan back in late Cata).

      Delete
  2. Has it been 20 years already? :P Guess me just having turned 18-19 at the time could be my reason for preferring the original version to this day. Nothing wrong with Johnny Cash, but even if you can't relate personally to the contents of the song, being done by someone aged 70 looking back on their life doesn't help.

    Regarding Illidan, I don't know. I think I agree with most of your points, or don't have a strong opinion - BUT at least he has some interesting writing, and even Jaina is quite a lot better than Thrall. Incidentally my view on Thrall wasn't really that bad in Vanilla, and I want to think it's not because of not looking so close, but... he simply was some kind hero figure, being Warchief and all, but the Mary Sue thing wasn't so strong. Or at least 'not a repeat offender'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think the age at which you heard the song first has an influence, as I prefer Depeche Mode's version of Personal Jesus over Cash's (also off of the same album as Hurt).

      As for Thrall, Cataclysm is the "Thrall Story" more than anything else. Sure, the jokes were there about Green Moses or Green Jesus already, but Blizz went all in on Cataclysm with Thrall as superhero and minor deity. Jaina's Mary Sue-ism seems to have happened offstage as it were, in the books. That's how I went "Huh??" when people were talking about her dating Kalecgos. "Oh, it's in the books," I was told.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, the problem is that I can never really claim authority on what I say about WoW's story because so much seems to be flying right over my head... I am terrible about keeping track of year-long bits and pieces.

      But in my memor Jaina was only medium important in vanilla and then all-powerful in BfA, but I actually liked her in BfA a lot, so maybe I'm glad I kinda missed the middle part? :P

      Delete
    3. I can see that, but I'll be the first to admit that I hate characters --NPCs or PCs-- who are all-powerful. I guess I put it in pencil and paper RPG terms in that I didn't sign up to be a godlike being, or hang with godlike beings: I just want to be the hero of my own story. I guess with the direction that Blizzard went, the power creep and storyline pretty much led to that. If I get to be Luke Skywalker or Han Solo in the original Star Wars, then cool. If I get to be fanfic Luke Skywalker who discovers some uber-powerful Jedi relic that turns him into a god, I'll pass.

      But that's the thing, really. Blizzard backed themselves into this because they had to keep topping each expac with something even more epic, and after a while you lose sight of the ground when you're perched atop a mountain of power and epicness.

      Delete