Thursday, February 17, 2022

Really? Again?

I wish I were making this up.

There's a new addon that is sweeping the WoW Classic community. From the same person who created Attune, there's now Dailies.

Yes, an addon to detect, share, track, order, and plan your daily/weekly quests. It will also, like Attune, allow you to share your info with others in your guild. About the only thing it doesn't seem to do is allow a guild leadership to track who is completing their dailies. You know, for being optimally ready for raiding.

From the Why This Addon from the CurseForge interface:

"Dailies are already a big part of TBC with Ogrila, the Skyguard, fishing, cooking, dungeons and heroics, and now the Netherwing rep. But very soon we'll also get the Shattered Sun Offensive with a ton of new dailies, and then ... Wrath of the Lich King (hopefully!) with again a ton of dailies and weeklies.

Very quickly your daily grind is going to become very convoluted and having a simple yet effective interface to take you through your selection will be very handy."

Oh yay.

I was already avoiding dailies as much as possible, and now I've got another reason to do so. Because it's now part of the meta for TBC Classic, and like most metas it ends up changing something optional into a requirement.

I was going to post about this video
sometime in the near future anyway,
but this kind of accelerated things.


Between Attune, Questie, and now Dailies (among others), these addons are turning a game into a job.

Unless you actually like doing this sort of job, that is.

4 comments:

  1. There's a grim irony where many people who wanted Classic for itself are bound and determined to remake the Classic experience into the Retail mindset. :sigh: I guess this is the MMO equivalent of "you can't step into the same river twice".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, because you just know that the automated LFG tool is coming. At about this point in TBC Classic, even I'm starting to see some of the advantages in that, but I know what the long term damage truly is and will reject it on principle. Once it rolls out, however, there's pretty much not going to be much choice in avoiding it, because everyone will rush to using it.

      Delete
  2. I must have been using Questie wrong because for me it doesn't fit in with the other two :P

    I mean, I remember the party spam when people got to a new stage or something, I think, but we mostly used it to see who had 14/15 foozles and who was finished. I don't see anything wrong with Questie as "just a nicer interface" and not using it as a religious guide.

    But yeah, I rolled my eyes when first wrote about that Attune thing, so absolutely +1 here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I asked myself 'Just what is the goal of Questie?' Is it to put back all of what's left behind when we went from WoW Classic and it's open ended lack of marking things up on the mini map (and map) so you can easily find your quests? Is it to blitz through quest content so you can get to Endgame? Is it because you constantly need help because you're incredibly bad at finding what you need to find in a quest? (Like, say, those pieces of stool in Nagrand when --with the graphics turned up-- make them almost impossible to find?)

      Well, I'm fine with #3, not quite as much with #1 (but okay, I suppose, but then why play Classic if you're going to just use tools to turn Classic into Retail?), but #2? That second option has turned questie from useful tool into part of the meta for Classic. The only thing missing is an explicit guide that shows you which quests to do when, and believe me, that does exist out there. Questie is everything but somebody telling you which quest to do right then and there, because one of the leveling Shamans used a guide to tell him exactly where to go and what to do in the most efficient way possible so he could get to Endgame. (And he's one of the few Shamans still left raiding, so I guess it worked, but at what cost?)

      Delete