Friday, March 13, 2015

Revenge of the Liebster

Syl over at MMO Gypsy has tagged me with a Liebster, which meant that it took about a year for the award to get back to me.

It's baaaack!

I've been perusing her questions, and while most of them I knew the answer to immediately, there were a few that I needed some time to consider.

Without further delay, here's my answers to Syl's questions:

1. If you could learn a new language overnight, which would it be?
German. Practicality be damned, I like the sound of the language.* Besides, I know enough German speakers --including the mini-Reds, who have been taking German as their foreign language requirement at school-- that it'd be fun to actually converse in German.

2. What is the first MMO you’d want to visit in full VR mode?
Hmm.  I'm assuming that they'd also get an graphical upgrade, so I'd say LOTRO, with SWTOR a close second. I suppose for the pure titillation factor there's Age of Conan, but the sword and sorcery landscape that is the Hyborean Age is too brutal for me to enjoy in a VR mode. WoW would be interesting, but I'd be more up for it in the Vanilla/BC/Wrath WoW (pre-Cata) areas.

3. If you got to invite a dead person over for tea and biscuits, who would it be?
This was a toughie.

I thought about what sort of person I'd like to invite over, which really defines who I'd invite. There are a ton of interesting people out there, from the enlightened monarch Frederick of Prussia to the true Renaissance Man Leonardo da Vinci, with everyone from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Albert Einstein to Bartolome de las Casas to Bette Davis in between. I'd like to chat with Copernicus about his observations of the heavens, Cleopatra about how she was able to use all of her skills to hold onto power in Egypt, and Lao Tsu just to hear him talk. Imagine talking with Mae West about how much of her act was based on her own sexuality, or Tchaikovsky about how much of his own personality went into his composing.

But if I'm going to be forced to choose, I'd say it would be my Great Aunt, who passed away over 16 years ago. Sure, I know all the stories she'd tell by heart --she said the same 15 stories for the last 20 years of her life-- but I wouldn't mind.

4. What kind of biscuits would you serve?
McVities Original Digestives. Yes, I do know about McVities --I get them at Jungle Jim's-- and while I personally prefer the dark chocolate ones, I know those won't necessarily go with tea.

5. Who should go down first: House Lannister, House Frey or House Bolton?
Since I haven't read the books (or seen the series), I threw dice and got House Frey.

6. Justice means:
– a) everyone gets what they work for
– b) everyone gets the same
– c) everyone gets what they need
For me, A, but with one caveat: the value of the work is is directly proportional to its criticality. In an office where three people get the day to day business done while others sit in meetings, guess who gets the most reward in my scenario?  (Hint: not the meeting people.)

7. If you could see one of your favorite games get a sequel, it would be….?
Hmm. Most of the games (video games-wise) that I like already either are sequels or have a sequel out there. However, for a GOOD sequel, I'd have to say Master of Orion.

8. If a person were to split a pot of 1000$ between them and yourself on condition of you accepting their first offer, would you rather accept 100 bucks or both go empty?
Hopefully, that person wouldn't be a complete jerk and try to take almost all of the money, but if they did try to give me only $100, I'd much rather us both go empty.

9. Which in game MMO place/location do you consider a home to return to?
When I played WoW, this would have been Eversong Forest.  There is absolutely no doubt in my mind; because even when I played Alliance characters I would occasionally sneak into Eversong to wander around.

Since I no longer hang out in Azeroth, I found this is a tougher question than I thought.

A big argument could be made that I don't really have a "home base" anymore; I play several games and there are several favorite haunts, but nothing quite says home to me like Eversong Forest did. Of course, a great deal of that is that my first moments playing an MMO were playing a Blood Elf Priest on WoW, so it's natural that I'd think of Eversong Forest as a place to return to when I'm in need of a recharge.

So maybe I really don't have a home anymore, which does make sense, given that I do wander about MMOs quite a bit these days.

10. Favorite midnight snack when nobody’s looking?
Um, it depends. Right now, it's some Swiss chocolate, but I've been known to cook up a grilled cheese sandwich or nosh on some hummus and pita bread.

***

I know a big part of the Liebster is to go and tap a bunch of other bloggers, but since my last attempt wound up with very few takers, I think I'm going to pass this time. As the old saying goes, "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."





*Yes, I'm one of those who think that a foreign language sounds sexy. (Yes, even German. I'm sure there are skeptics.) Maybe I should insert the obligatory A Fish Called Wanda clip about the sexiness of foreign languages, such as Russian....

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, I think everybody loves these are long as it's not theirs. I was in a hurry and didn't go get my reading glasses. I got a start because I read ... cheese sandwich or nosh on some hummus and pita bread as, nosh on some humans and pita bread. What! Whew, had me going there for a minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about revamping the blog design for a while now, and your point about reading glasses actually hit home for me. I've been having trouble lately with the red color of links, myself.

      Delete
  2. 5. Who should go down first: House Lannister, House Frey or House Bolton?
    Since I haven't read the books (or seen the series)


    You gotta! You'll love it. Get the TV series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, two things keep me from watching it: I know that GRRM loves to kill people off, and I get tired of that "grittiness" in Fantasy these days; and I'm not going to watch until the series (book or show) is complete.

      I was a big Robert Jordan fan but eventually fell off the wagon around the time Path of Daggers was released, because it became obvious that his constant saying of "just a couple more books" had no truth to it. At the time, I said that he'd need at least 5 more books to tie up all of the plot points that he kept throwing into the story, and I wasn't too far off the mark. Considering that he passed away before he could finish the series makes me leery of authors who also take their time finishing their series (/cough GRRM /cough).

      But that said, I know it's supposed to be awesome. I just can't bring myself to watch it or read the series until I know that it's going to actually end.

      Delete