Monday, September 7, 2020

Off Topic: Take This Seriously, People

I'm setting aside the theme of the blog for this post.

It's a post I'd rather not make, because I'm neither a health professional nor involved with government, but sometimes amplifying the message is what's needed.

Covid-19 is no joke, and take appropriate steps to halt the spread of the coronavirus.

***

I've had one member of my extended family die from C-19, and another is clinging to life while on oxygen.* My nephew had what we believe to be a severe case of it, but it happened back in March when the hospitals were refusing to consider the possibility of kids with severe cases, but he managed to recover. My immediate family had just recently emerged from quarantine as my wife and the oldest mini-Red both contracted the virus.** While the cases we had in our family were "mild", I'm here to tell you that it is not even close to "just a cold".

In the case of my wife, it would have been considered a normal summer cold, except for two unnerving things: the lethargy and the lack of taste/smell. This isn't your normal "I'm feeling sick, I'd rather not do much other than sleep" sort of lethargy. I mean, this is the sort of lethargy that says "I don't want to get out of bed to go to the bathroom" or "I don't want to do anything other than lie right here" or "I don't want to drink or eat at all". I'd never seen anything like it, and as soon as the lethargy crept into her bones I started hassling her to go get tested. You've heard numerous times about the lack of taste and/or smell, but it's been over two weeks since she was cleared by the county board of health to return to work and she still hasn't regained anything from those senses. It may take months, or who knows, it might even be permanent.

The oldest mini-Red had more of what you'd call a chest cold if it weren't for the fact that her cough was a lot like pneumonia. She's had walking pneumonia before, and this was much more severe than that. She slept on the couch so as not to infect her sister --who stayed up in the room they share together-- and I kept close tabs on her at all times until the congestion and cough finally broke.

But the one thing that nobody ever tells you is that when Covid-19 enters your home, your paranoia ramps up considerably. 

You're always wondering if you sneeze or you cough "Is this it? Am I finally catching it?" Or every time you check on one of them you think "Is their temperature going to spike? Are they going to have trouble breathing? Will I have to call 9-1-1?" And, somewhere in the back of your mind, is always the gnawing fear that something even worse will happen and they'll be gone within a day.

As much as you like to think you can, you can't quite compartmentalize your fears and just carry on with work as usual. Maybe health professionals can, but I certainly can't. And I know this situation has affected my mental health in other ways; I'm a bit more abrupt with friends and co-workers, and I don't want to lean on "Covid-19 quarantine" as an excuse. 

It has also crept into my game playing, as I'm sure it contributed to my feelings playing WoW the past few weeks. But it's not something you can just come out and tell people, you know? "Nah, I'm not feeling like joining an Ony pug, gang, because I've got the blues from dealing with a household with Covid." 

At times like this, mindless farming in game has helped me to just simply stop thinking about things for a while. Like tonight, where I realized that Card hadn't reached max fishing, so I stood there on the docks in Tanaris, constantly casting, forgetting everything for a while, and even forgetting there was a chance I might even join a pug raid tonight.** Or later, I got on to farm Felcloth, and forgetting that I'd been fishing earlier, I was fighting Satyrs equipped with a fishing rod.

Basically stuff that I'd never have screwed up in-game before, I was messing up constantly.

***

I wish I could thwack every idiot out there --and yes, that does include extended family members-- who thinks this isn't a big deal. 

IT IS A BIG DEAL. AND WE ARE STILL LEARNING THINGS ABOUT THIS VIRUS IN REAL TIME WHILE WE'RE TRYING TO GET A VACCINE TOGETHER. AND WE STILL DON'T EVEN KNOW THE LONG TERM EFFECTS OF ALL THIS, SO CUT THIS IDIOTIC SHIT OUT!!!!

There.

And if there's anybody whom I play with who stumbles on this, I apologize for my moping around in game. Now you know a bit of the reason why.



*Due to his prior history he's only able to take oxygen via a mask, rather than a ventilator. The last I heard, which was the other day, he was doing slightly better. He's always been tough --a retired firefighter who had several bouts of cancer-- and he's giving the virus a run for it's money.

**The other two mini-Reds tested negative: one when he was tested as he arrived at university, and the other received a test because she works at a restaurant and could have potentially infected a lot of people otherwise. I showed no symptoms, and because of that it's pretty hard in my state to get tested. So I assumed I was asymptomatic and behaved accordingly.

***The raid happened, but no spots were available. Just as good, because to be honest because my mind simply wasn't in it. 

 

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your extended family, Red... though I'm glad to hear that everyone in your household pulled through OK. It's definitely not over and I'm glad my employer seems quite happy to let us all continue to work from home indefinitely, with maybe one physical team meeting per month. Just the other day one of my co-workers came down with asymptotic COVID except for the loss of smell. Fortunately nobody I know personally has been affected more severely than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shintar.

      It's been harder dealing with this than I expected, even long before the virus hit home. You'd think that an introvert would be okay with working from home with minimal human contact, but when you stuff the entire family into one house for months on end it can drive an introvert crazy because there simply is no alone time.

      In the old days I would have pulled out a deck of cards and played solitare for hours, or maybe even played Tetris a lot. But these days I've been spending time fishing and farming in WoW, just focusing on the cast and reel in to push all this away for a while.

      I was short with some people last night, and when the get on later I need to apologize, because it has nothing to do with them at all.

      Delete
  2. Yikes! That's scary indeed. I'm glad that your immediate family got through it; condolences on your extended family loss.
    My husband's parents think they might have had it back in March; they had a couple of weeks where they were feeling really sick and felt like they couldn't taste or smell. When my mother-in-law got antibody tested, though, it came back negative. I felt kind of crummy for most of June and wondered if I had it, but the fact that I continued to be able to taste and smell reassured me that I didn't.
    My husband has been working from home since late March, and that changed what I felt like I could do during the kids' naptime over the summer.
    It occurs to me that these quarantine stresses on families are a little like when the housewife has to learn how to live with her husband underfoot after he retires :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thoughts, Kamalia. Actually what set me off were some members of my extended family, who after all this still think C-19 is "no big deal" or "a hoax". Really? You think that my nephew suffered as he did was a eff-ing HOAX? I may not see eye-to-eye with my brother a lot, but dammit I love those kids of his, and those family members who think this is all a hoax had better kiss my ass goodbye.

      I've thought of that exact analogy as well; where the spouse who works outside the home comes back and is in the other spouse's grill all. day. long. In my case that'd be my wife, who works at a certain retail establishment famous for it's (ahem) bullseye logo. The biggest takeaway this year has been that I need a computer of my own, because she's constantly over on the family desktop in some form or another, which kind of cuts into my gaming time.

      Delete
  3. Oh no, I'm so sorry. What a nightmare. I don't go anywhere as with a weakened immune system a bad cold might kill me. Thank goodness I'm an introvert so it's no problem for me.

    I worry about the people who are trying to wear masks and social distance but get careless because they are so sick of it. My poor son-in-law has 1/2 of his family is sensible and trying to be safe and the other half thinks it's a hoax. I so feel for him.

    Stay safe and I'm thinking best wishes to your family's full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how happy I am that you're still here and kicking, Ancient. Well, maybe you do, as I pester you way too much, but still I'm glad you're here.

      Delete