Monday, March 9, 2020

One Final Lesson -- Part 6/6

Previous Installments:

One Final Lesson -- Part 1
One Final Lesson -- Part 2
One Final Lesson -- Part 3
One Final Lesson -- Part 4
One Final Lesson -- Part 5




When I woke the next morning, I felt immeasurably better. Mom was up and moving, if slower than her usual self, but she told me she'll feel better the longer she follows her daily routines. Evelyn and the first Kaldorei cleaned up my blood in the hallway last night; when I asked the Kaldorei how she knew to do that, she said "You don't want to know."

After breakfast I sat down with Mom, Dad, and Mistress Evelyn.

"You're certain you want to go through with this?" Dad asked.

I nodded. "Yes."

"Very well. The three of us talked, and Evelyn believes you have the making of a good Mage. She also believes that you need more practice, and that reporting to Deputy Willem at Northshire Abbey would provide you with a good start. She also believes there is a Mage assigned to the detachment there at the Abbey, and that Mage can provide you with some basic instruction before you go to Stormwind."

"What about the message?"

"We agreed that you can deliver the message," Mom replied, "but only when the Northshire Mage determines it safe for you to reach Stormwind."

Where am I supposed to go, and what is SI:7 anyway?"


Mom and Dad exchanged a glance. "SI:7 is part of the Stormwind army," Dad said. "They specialize in spying, among other things."

"Just don't tell them that they're part of the army," Mistress Evelyn added. 

Mom was a spy? "Okay, so where do I go in Stormwind?"

"The Stormwind army is headquartered in Old Town, and SI:7 can be found there as well," Mom replied. "If you ask for the Barracks, you'll be directed to the right location. I'll provide you with a note that will give you the instruction you need from there. Just make sure you're in the right place, because SI:7 does have enemies and Stormwind is a big place."

"What about the Defias? What if they come back?"

Evelyn cleared her throat. "I'm going to stay here, Dear. I believe the Defias were already in the house when I placed the wards, and I’m not making that mistake again. Further, I believe that the best thing for everybody in this part of Elwynn is for me to operate out of your parents' house for a while, and we'll be in contact with the other farms in the area to organize patrols on our own until the Defias threat is over."

"We spoke with the two Kaldorei," Dad added, "and Kit says she will speak with the local Cenarion Circle representatives in Stormwind about providing assistance. As for the other one, she said she'll be in the area. Hunting, she called it."

"The Defias in Eastern Elwynn are about to have a very hard time," I said.

"Mhmm. She provided us some instructions on how to reach her should we need it."

"Doesn't she have a name?" I asked. "I don't understand why she never offered it."

"In her line of work, the less known the better," Mom replied. "Names have power; knowing an enemy's name can turn someone from hunter to hunted."

I sat for a moment, thinking. "I'm sorry, Mom." I finally said. "I'm sorry that you had to go through all this, and I'm not making it much easier."

"Cardwyn," Mom said, "You now can hopefully understand why I've been so harsh with you at times. I did not want you to walk in my footsteps, and I wanted you to make the right decisions when the time came. But I can't protect you forever."

She set her jaw for a moment, and then continued. "I saw how you responded under pressure, and how you made the right choices when it mattered. You didn't hide, you didn't cry and whimper, and you protected those who couldn't protect themselves. I just want to say that I'm very proud you're my daughter, and that Azeroth will be a better place with you walking your own path."

I stood up and my legs moved of their own accord, taking me around the table until I embraced Mom.

***

Balthan agreed to walk with me until I reached the Abbey, as he still had unfinished business in Stormwind. Given the distance, we decided to leave next morning, which gave me a chance to pack and say goodbye. The goodbyes turned out to be the easy part, as I had no idea how to pack for the road; after all, until the other day every place I'd been was --at best-- a day's journey from our farm. 

I was staring at the clothing on my bed, wondering what to stuff in my pack, when there was a knock on the door.

"Can I come in?" Mistress Evelyn asked.

"Of course!" I pulled the door open and Evelyn walked inside, carrying a bundle.

"You know," she said as she sat down on the corner of my bed, "I never had to travel far when I was starting out. You couldn't throw a stone in Dalaran and not hit a Mage school."

"I can't imagine a city full of Mages, Mistress Evelyn," I replied. "The Mage Quarter in Stormwind was huge enough."

"If you think the Mage Quarter was big, imagine a community full of Druids. I've been told that's what Moonglade is like."

I shook my head. "One Kit is enough."

"I believe she'd agree with you. You passed, by the way," she added.

"I passed what?"

"Your test. You made a public speech, using the power of persuasion, and you got what you wanted. Kira would have been proud of you if she'd heard it."

I blinked. Mistress Evelyn was right after all. Rhetoric does come in handy, even for farmers.

Evelyn fidgeted on my bed for a moment. "I want you to have this," she said, offering me the package.

I took the burlap package and undid the string. My eyes widened as I held up a rich purple gown; not too fancy, but nice enough to be seen in at the harvest festival.  "I love it, Mistress Evelyn!" I exclaimed.

"This was my apprentice robe, a long time ago," she explained. "I want you to wear this when you start out. Mages go through a lot of clothing as they rise through the ranks, but I wanted to make sure you looked every inch a real Mage when you leave."

"Here, wait a moment," I said, frantically yanking off my clothes and slipping the robe on. I twirled around once and felt the gown flow in a way that my skirts never did. "How do I look?"

Evelyn's breath caught. "It goes well with your dark hair," she said finally. "You look every inch the Young Mage."

I sat down on the bed. "Thank you for everything, Mistress Evelyn," I said, hugging her. "I'll come back and visit, I promise."

"I know you will, Dear. I know you will."

***

We left at dawn.

The house turned out to wave goodbye, and Carys ran up to me and gave me a hug. "I miss you right now, Car-wyn," she said into my robe.

"Don't worry, Sprout, I'll be back." I lifted her up and gave her a big hug and a kiss on her forehead. "You make sure Auntie Evelyn doesn't get in trouble, okay?"

"Otay."

"And if I run into Kit, I'll tell her you said 'Hi' and that you want her to visit."

"Otay! I like Kitty!"

"Write when you can," Mom said, handing me a package. "There's some letters for you from us, some for people you will meet, and the one for Mathias."

Linna stepped forward, handing me a staff. "Here, Card. Jas and I cut it for you yesterday. Every Mage needs a staff." She gave me a hug. "Bash a Defias for us," she whispered in my ear.

"I'll do that," I whispered back.

Dad, Jas, and the others gave me some hugs, and I turned at last to embrace Mistress Evelyn. "We'll be okay here, Cardwyn," she said, her eyes beaming with pride. "Go and do great things."

"Okay, Lass," Balthan said, clearing his throat. "Time's a wastin', and we'd best be on our way if we want to make Northshire Abbey by nightfall."

I waved one last time and began walking down the path to the Old Elwynn Road. I'd gone down this path countless times, but I always knew I'd be back home when the stars came out. But now, I was acutely aware that I didn't truly know where I was going. We walked along in silence as we reached the Road and turned west.

"How do you do it, Balthan?" I asked after a long while.

"Do what, Lass?"

"Travel like this. Don't you have family that miss you?"

"Oh, aye, Lass. That I do. But they also know that I go where I go because the Light takes me to where I can do the most good. I keep up with them with letters, and I do drop into Ironforge and Kharanos when I can."

"Will you ever retire?"

Balthan stroked his beard a moment. "Probably so, Lass. I'd like to retire, but I fear that the situation in the North may call me there once more. Or, more likely, Blackrock Mountain."

We fell back into silence for another long stretch. I'd been so resolute before, but now I was wondering if this was all a big mistake. I had no business doing this, and that I was only play acting at Magecraft. That familiar knot in my stomach returned, but I said nothing.

Sometime mid-morning we crossed the stream near the logging camp, where a few Stormwind Guards had set up a checkpoint. They waved us through with a respectful salutation to the two of us. Hearing a "Young Mage" from them only intensified my unease.

"I feel like such a fraud," I said when we were out of earshot.

"Eh?" Balthan asked. "What fer?"

"I'm no Mage, I'm barely even an apprentice."

Balthan stopped. "Cardwyn, lemme tell ya somethin'. If Evelyn says yer a Mage, yer a Mage. She doesn't give out titles to just anyone. And based on what I saw yesterday, you've more than earned your title. I've known young Paladins who would have buckled under the pressure you faced yesterday. Everybody likes to think that they'll be the hero when the time comes, but far too many of them will run and hide --or do something totally stupid and endanger everybody-- when the time comes. Yer a Mage in my book, and Balthan's word travels pretty far in the right circles."

"But all I did was one single spell."

"And you did it perfectly. You did exactly what was asked of you, and you did it as well as Evelyn would have. Ye listened to yer betters, followed the plan, and got Carys and Karyn to safety. I can't tell ye how many times a new Paladin would have tried to play the hero and charge into the fight only to be cut down while the hostages themselves were slain. When you've got enough skill you can make yer own plans, but right now yer just a Baby Mage who needs guidance. The best people in all of Azeroth had to start somewhere, and this is yer somewhere."

With that, Balthan started walking once more, this time at a brisk pace.

We cut through Goldshire by late afternoon, stopping only briefly along the way to split a loaf of bread. As we passed the tradeshouses I wondered if I should check to see if Kira was baking or on the road, but it was obvious that Balthan meant to make it to Northshire Abbey before the sun set.

At last we reached the wall that separated the Northshire Valley from the rest of Elwynn Forest. The sun was red through the trees to the west, and the call of the nightingale was just getting started. Several Guards stood nearby, chatting among themselves. "Are you here to see Deputy Willem?" one asked.

"I am," I replied.

"You can go on through the gate," the Guard said, waving me onward. "If you need to check in with anyone else, he can point you in the right direction, Young Mage."

"Thank you."

Balthan embraced me in a rough hug. "Well, Lass, Light be with you. And once yer finished givin' those Defias what they deserve, I know some people in Ironforge who could always use another person who loves a good mystery. The Explorer's League is always lookin' fer folks like you."

"Thanks for everything, Balthan," I replied.

I turned and faced the open gate, took a deep breath, and stepped through. My new life awaited.

The End
 
 Postscript: On Being Debriefed

3 comments:

  1. This was such a lovely story! Thank you for sharing it! I always enjoy a story that expands Azeroth from the sketch of a world that we of necessity experience in the game into a more realistic scale and depth of detail.
    The slow reveal of Daryn & Mona's history was beautifully done. Mistress Evelyn being covertly subversive with Daryn & Mona's children to help each of them find their own true paths is a great element. Of course I loved Kitwynn's cameo role! And the bit where Cardwyn sends Carys to help begin her mother's healing genuinely brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kamalia!

      I want to also take the time to thank you for your stories over the years as well.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed all of this, for all of the reasons Kam mentioned. It’s interesting to think of Mona having an addiction to her (former) vocation. The whole story felt sweet and true. I wish Cardwyn well on her mage journeys! ❄️ 🔥 ✨

    ReplyDelete