Thursday, March 15, 2018

Twenty Years in the Making

I was going to write about something else, but I saw this come across my newsfeed today (courtesy of syfy.com):

Dungeons and Dragons had its Biggest Sales Year Since 1997

It took me a few moments to digest those words.

D&D had a better year in 2017 than when 3e was released in 2000? Better than before Wizards of the Coast bought TSR?

Wow.

That's quite an accomplishment.

I'm sure that the success of Stranger Things hasn't hurt, and the interest in watching people play D&D on Twitch.TV (such as Geek and Sundry's Critical Role) has helped too. But maybe the fact that it's twenty years later means the gamers grew up, had kids, and now their kids are playing too.

From imgflip.com.

For all the new (and returning) players, welcome to the world of RPGs! Pull up a seat and tell us about your character. I'll get you a drink: beer, wine, or the D&D staple Mountain Dew?* Sorry, I don't have any Nutter Butters around the house --one of the mini-Reds has a peanut allergy-- but I'm sure if you bring some snacks that'll do. (Even fruit or veggies.)




*Nowadays, it's Diet Dew for me, thanks. Or coffee.

2 comments:

  1. Nerds.

    (just kidding)

    (played D&D as a kid)

    (guess that makes me a nerd)

    (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're pretty much all nerds. I'm amused at the people who play in Fantasy Sports leagues, and how they try to contort themselves into saying "Nope, we're NOT nerds!" Dude, if you use more math than in Rolemaster or GURPS to figure out your team's optimal performance, you're a nerd.

      Delete