Monday, April 9, 2012

A Few Random Monday-ish Thoughts

It's no secret that I have a stable of Paladins.  Soul plays tanks, Rades (Orcish Army Knife) likes Hunters, and Vidyala (from Manalicious) likes Draenei.

What makes people stick with one race or toon or class over another, while others are confirmed Altoholics?

I can honestly say that I got into playing Paladins because of their similarities to D&D's Clerics.  I play Clerics --first because we needed a healer and then by choice-- and so naturally the first class I'd try out was the Priest, thinking it was a WoW version of a Cleric.

It took about 15 minutes before I discovered how wrong I was, and after some encouragement from Soul, I switched to the Paladin.

As for others, I can't say.  Maybe it's the appeal of bashing someone in the face, controlling the fight, or the lore of a specific race, but some folks latch on to something and don't let it go.

But Altoholics....

I watch my son play LOTRO, and I swear every time I turn around he's creating a new character.  He likes to play Hobbits, but I don't think he could settle on a single character even if his life depended on it.

Oh well.  Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, right?

***

As I've been working through Alliance-side Loremaster on Tomakan, I've cruised through Grizzly Hills.  In a post-Cata world, this, more than anything else, sticks out like a sore thumb.

"Have you been bloody bitten??!!" the Alliance scout shrieks as we're fleeing to safety.  The fear and loathing of the Worgen in that zone is just as palpable as you'll find in pre-Cata Silverpine Forest and Duskwood, and they are so far out of the reality of Worgen as Alliance that it's laughable.

Can you imagine that Alliance scout asking that of a Worgen toon?

"Um, well....  Now that you mention it, yeah!!  But I got better...."

***

I encountered a newbie in Zul'Drak this past weekend.  I'd forgotten how fresh everything seemed at that stage of the game, but even then, this newbie was in a race to 85.  I got the impression that he was jumping as quickly as he could from zone to zone, following some manual or add-on, which put a damper on my reverie, but merely finding a newbie these days is an achievement when you're surrounded by jaded veterans at max level.

I think I need to get out and hang around in the starter zones a bit more often these days...

No comments:

Post a Comment