Pages

▼

Saturday, September 26, 2026

You Only See It After The Fact

I attended the visitation for my friend last night, which was cathartic. I hadn't realized just how many people he knew, because there was quite a line of people to see him, but I also ran into several other members of my amateur radio club there. Yes, I'm quite aware that visitations and funerals are for the living rather than for the dead, but still it was good to be reminded that we have other people who count on us and connect with us. 

Speaking of connecting, I made a point the other day to get my annual flu and covid shots while I was picking up my medications at my pharmacy. While I'd known the people at the pharmacy for years, they'd been strictly professional in all my interactions with them. I'd occasionally wondered if they actually recognized me --a strange concept considering I'm a redhead with a (now gray) beard. Well, when the woman providing the shots took me into the little private room, I discovered that not only did they know me quite well but they were happy to see me whenever I made an appearance.

***

That got me to thinking about a couple of recent instance runs I had on the Anniversary servers. 

The first one, on my Hunter, was a run through the Underbog*. The tank and healer were from the same guild, and the healer was max level, so yay for us. But still, for the most part I was trying to stay out of trouble. Which, as a Hunter, meant not having my pet pull aggro from the tank nor trying to be a jerk and hitting the enemies hard enough to pull threat myself. Yes, Hunters have that reputation, and I'm quite aware of it. 

Of course, I did miss that I had the wrong buff on when we started (Aspect of the Pack). Sure, it makes you run faster, but when you get hit you get stunned, so... Yeah, not a good idea. 

When the Healer mentioned it, I apologized and switched the buff to the correct one. "I think every Hunter, myself included, has done that before," the Healer replied, which made me feel better.

"And here I was trying to make sure that Growl was off," I added. "Oh well."

I think that a little kindness there went a long way, and I appreciated that.

The second instance was a Sunken Temple run on my Horde Mage, Neve. After my failed attempt to get into ST the other week, I wasn't sure what to expect. However, the Druid tank was up front in that they hadn't been in ST in years, so they might need some guidance in finding their way around. Luckily, another party member pulled up some of the more intricate parts of the instance on ChatGPT (I guess going to Wowhead would have worked too), so we had that part covered. Since our tank was a Druid and I know Druid tanks quite well because I first met my Questing Buddy while she was on her Druid tank, I knew to wait and get a chance to see how they'd do at handling threat before I went all in on my DPS. 

Okay, so I'm casting Blizzard right now; sue me.
Typically I focus on a caster/healer and make sure
we kill them first, or at the very least I can counter
whatever healing or damage spells they put out.

That didn't exactly work as intended, because I kind of got excited a couple of pulls in and pulled threat. "Sorry about that," I said, "I'll slow my DPS for a bit so you can keep threat." 

"That's okay," the tank replied, "I don't speak English well."

Honestly, I had no idea why that mattered in terms of me slowing down my DPS, but I kind of shrugged and did my best to keep myself from pulling threat. I mean, that's my job: do damage but don't be an asshat; do crowd control** and make things easier for the tank and healer; provide food and water for the group, and make sure everybody has the buffs they need.

In case you've forgotten, Sunken Temple (formally known as The Temple of Atal'Hakkar) is one of those Classic instances that can take an entire evening to clear if you're very thorough, or if you're not quite at the right level for it. Just like the other four massive Vanilla instances, Blackrock Depths, Blackrock Spire, Stratholme, and Maraudon, you'll just have to take your time and relax.

So I did.

I mean, I was constantly drinking to get my mana back, so I was fine with the pace. And to be honest, about 1/3 of the way through our group got into a groove and then we were able to speed things up just a bit.

Still, I was floored when the tank said in group chat, "Yr good Mage, you don't go all in on aoe when I pull."

"Thanks," I replied. I thought about making an additional comment, but that was kind of embarrassing. I mean, I'm part of a team, and I look good when the team looks good.

When we finished, both the tank and the healer said in group chat that they added me to their Friends' list. Again, a little kindness went a long way.

***

If there was one thing I'll always remember about my friend, it's that he was always there for you. He encouraged people, enabled them to do their best work, and celebrated with them when they achieved their goals. He was living proof that behaving like other people mattered and were worth cheering for paid dividends, both for the people he affected and himself. I don't know if he ever got to see how many people's lives he'd impacted, but I'd like to think he did. 




*Yes, it's Underbog, not "Underdog", the cartoon from the 1960s. Although I have been known to say "Never fear, UNDERDOG is here!" while in that instance.

This is a poster by Ian Glaubinger.
Note the evil Simon Bar Sinister on the
bottom left, and Polly Purebred on the right.


**Apparently not that many Mages actually do crowd control like you're supposed to. My Questing Buddy has informed me on numerous occasions that the Mages in her guild simply don't do any of that stuff. Or even bother with things such as removing curses from party/raid members, leaving that job to other classes. I have no idea where that mentality comes from, but I consider those "lesser" things a critical part of actually playing a Mage. 

EtA: Corrected intent in a sentence; it could have easily been misread.

No comments:

Post a Comment