Seventeen years ago, the first post on Parallel Context appeared.
That was long enough ago that the graphics that Souldat* linked to in that first post no longer work. Hell, the site warcraftrealms.com itself resolves to warcraftdb.com these days as it effectively shut down in 2023.**
Oh, and if you ever wondered, Souldat was biased toward the Horde from the beginning as his first post made pretty plain. Given that I now play Alliance most of the time, it certainly feels odd reading that first post again.
Anyway, PC has been around long enough that it ought to be applying to colleges right about now. I certainly hope that it has a decent safety school selected, because the cost of attending a university isn't cheap.
*He used Murtaugh as his handle back then, and changed it several times over the next several years as his main changed.
**Links not being maintained are a big reason why I make local copies of pictures and/or other graphics these days; that way I know there will be a working graphic when I return to a very old post from the future. I suppose I could spend a month cleaning up old links and trying to figure out what ought to go there, but I'd rather get it right the first time.
Congrats on 17 years... but also, so many dead links as time goes on. Occasionally I'll go back to a post and try to re-link to a saved version at the Internet Archive, but there is a point past when even the Wayback Machine is pretty sketchy.
ReplyDeleteYeah, it's kind of a fool's errand, but I hate leaving stuff broken.
DeleteGrats! Three years to the big 2-0. As for dead links, let 'em die. Who reads old blog posts anyway?
ReplyDeleteYou know, I'd have thought the same thing, but occasionally I'll see an old post pop up with a bunch of views. It's typically the same few posts, such as the one where I was in an instance and because my kids were going to be getting off the bus soon everybody else thought I was a mom, but some people do go back and read these old posts.
DeleteThat's why I keep telling people my writing from 5 years ago, let alone 15, wasn't nearly as good as it is now.
Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteCongrats! 17 years is a good long time to keep something like this going :D
ReplyDeleteThe funny thing is that I don't really notice the passage of time on the blog as much. For example, it was a bit of a shock to the system that my time doing progression raiding ended over four years ago, when it feels like yesterday. Maybe that's proof that I really am getting old, because time seems to go by so quickly now as compared to being a kid, when it took FOREVER for things to happen.
Delete