Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Not Exactly a Unicorn Week

Even though I didn't play much on the Anniversary servers the past week, when I did play I had a good time grouping with people to run some instances. If you're used to pseudo-random groups* being completely silent during instance runs, then the runs I was involved with last week were anything but that. 

Yes, yes, I know, I can be chatty when I'm in a group and someone breaks the ice, but this time around I was far from the most active in any of the groups. When I was on Joan, that didn't come as a surprise because inevitably someone would comment on the name "Joanofdark", but when I ran as Neve on the Horde side there was another chatty person far more interested in social connections than I was in her dungeon runs. 

What struck me the most last week, however, were the number of people who mentioned to me at the end of the run that they'd added me to their Friends List. In all of the cases, they mentioned that in addition to a smooth run they had a good time just hanging out with me. As I told one of my friends group later, "It's amazing how not being an asshole works out."

Hey, why is everybody looking at me?
From Memedroid and Dogeloaf using
the OG 'Scooby Doo, Where Are You?' cartoon.

There are times when it feels like being nice to people in an MMO is an exercise in futility, but last week proved to me that there are still people who prize a good connection in an MMO over other things. I have no idea what the rest of this week will be like, but you never know.




*The LFD automated queue finder doesn't exist on the WoW Classic Anniversary servers. Instead, it's a semi-random process where your name gets thrown up along with everybody else who is looking for people for a group, and it's up to you or another person to actually assemble the group based on what person you want. Some classes (Mage, Protection Paladin) have an easier time of finding groups than others.

#Blaugust2026

No comments:

Post a Comment