Monday, January 17, 2022

I Am Not Amused

I have been caught by my own nocturnal activities.

It is presently 3:22 AM local time, and I am wide awake.

I woke up around 11 PM to make sure I took my insulin*, and I haven't been able to get to bed since.

I've tried all of the usual remedies --outside of drinking milk or eating anything with excessive carbs, of course-- without any luck. And I am absolutely not going to try to use an over the counter solution for fear of accidental addiction. Besides, there's an inch of snow atop 1/3 of an inch of ice outside, and I'm not running to the 24 hour drugstore just for this.

So I got on Neve and knocked out a quest or two, then logged and spent time perusing YouTube for interesting things to watch.** 

Courtesy of a replacement piece,
she now looks less a mage and more
a "sexy pirate". Sexy Pirate Mage?

 

This is something that is going to have to get corrected soon, because I'm living on borrowed time.

***

Aside from that, seeing the prep work for Phase 3 has made me realize this is going to be harder a transition than I thought. I got twitchy about needing to get on and do things, and I had to tell myself multiple times to relax and that I won't be having to do any of that going forward. Given that a couple of weeks ago I was getting twitchy and nervous about having to do all of that Phase 3 prep, that my body did a 180 the past couple of days caused me no end of consternation. "Irony, thy name is raiding," I muttered.

Take the edge off, as well as just get back into exercising, I made a trip to a nature preserve on the east side of town and went for a hike.

Volunteers replaced the old, rickety
bridge since I was last here.

Although overcast, the weather hadn't turned yet, so that was an additional bonus. The hike gave me time to focus on just putting one foot in front of the other and enjoy the woods for what they were. No deadlines, no raids, no blood pressure, no diabetes, no min/maxing. 

No nothing.

It was fun while it lasted.

***

Now I just need to accept what's going to come on the Monday raid when I make my formal announcement.



*Still hate needles, but it has to be done.

**Such as the America's Test Kitchen posts on a good 12 inch stainless steel skillet. Or understanding just what the hell ASMR is. And to be fair, some of those ASMR videos make me more than a bit uncomfortable, given how the woman in the video sounds; it's less soothing and more... seductive. Keeping that sort of thing up for about 30 minutes or more makes me feel like every woman who's used that tone of voice with me has been pulling my leg.




4 comments:

  1. Again, I pretty much had the same thing when I stepped down from raiding in August. I was glad that I could stop worrying about farming for gear and consumables, but at the same time it actually took my brain some time to stop constantly thinking about those things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if the ASMR videos sound seductive it means either they're not real ASMR videos or that you aren't one of the people for whom ASMR has the advertised effect.

    I didn't think I would be but it turns out I am. ASMR, when it works (And by no means all the supposed "ASMR" videos I've seen do work.) sends me into a weird trance state. I don't find it particularly relaxing. I'm not even sure it's pleasant. It's more like a mild drug hit, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might be the latter, but it could also be that I need to disconnect that tone of voice from being seductive.

      A quick story:

      Back about, oh, 22-23 years ago, my wife and I had a friend over for playing boardgames. (Pretty sure it was Talisman, but don't quote me on that.) The phone rang in our apartment, and so I reached over and grabbed the phone.

      "Hello?"

      "Well," replied a woman on the other end of the line, "I was about to say that I'd accidentally called the wrong number, but you sound so delicious that I just wanted to let you know..... Goodbye..."

      And then she hung up.

      "Okay...." I replied into an empty line.

      The other two noticed my face. "Who is it?" my wife asked.

      "I think I was the recipient of 'a pass'," I replied, relating the story.

      My wife and my friend laughed about it, because my face said I totally fell for "that ruse", as my wife put it. But the thing is, that tone of voice is revisiting me now in several of these ASMR videos, and I can't think that is a coincidence.

      Delete