Monday, December 21, 2020

Ghosts of the Past

For all of the highs I've experienced as a gamer this year, 2020 has massively sucked in general.

And Friday brought more bad news in that one of my wife's friends died of breast cancer.

It wasn't unexpected, as she'd taken one last trip this Autumn to Gatlinburg, Tennessee to say farewell to a part of the country she loved, and you could tell from the photos she posted that the disease had ravaged her. But people still held out hope that she'd live to see one last Christmas.

Needless to say, thoughts of mortality dominated my weekend.*

This was taken on Monday, but it also
exemplifies what I was up to last weekend.

***

I decided early on to not dwell on her suffering, because there wasn't anything I personally could have done. The only people who could have done something were her caregivers, and I had to assume that they did the best they could with the cards they were dealt. I also thought of what her family went through, and watching her decline reminded me so much of what happened to my father in May/June 2017.** He fell and was admitted to the hospital on Derby Day (First Saturday in May), and was gone before Father's Day (Third Sunday in June). When the oncologist told my Dad in early June there was nothing he could do, he asked what my Dad wanted. "That I go quickly," Dad replied.

But what I kept coming back to was the concept of "a life well lived".  

I've heard people describe it as "working to live rather than living to work", but A Life Well Lived is more than that. It's about finding and keeping meaningful relationships, exploring and doing new things, and doing things because you want to do them rather than having to do them. If a lot of that sounds like you'd have to have a lot of money to basically thumb your nose at American Corporate Culture, you're right. You would have to be independently wealthy to do that. 

Or poor and have no attachments. A modern day hobo, if you will.

Okay, it's not really that bad, because exploring and doing new things doesn't require you to have a lot of money to accomplish. After all, there's libraries, parks, free concerts, etc. to be explored. Still, telling your boss to get bent and going off and doing your own thing, ala American Beauty, is a dream that very few get a chance to fulfill until retirement.

Ah yes, Homer Simpson did live that out.
From The Simpsons' Treehouse
of Horror. I think fourth season.

 

It's one thing to experience death in a pandemic from members of our extended family, whom we may talk to once every year (if that), and then quite another from someone that the family regularly converses with. The stench of death that surrounded 2020 can depress even the hardiest of optimists, but it can also force a re-evaluation of your own life, leading you to ask whether your life has truly been a Life Well Lived.

***

And that it has.

My wife has issues playing around on the computer when it's nice outside and there's places you can go. So did my father, who was a certified golf nut.*** If it wasn't raining, he was golfing. If he wasn't golfing, he'd be at a driving range. If he wasn't there, he was outside in the front yard or back yard, practicing with a pitching wedge. And if he wasn't doing that, he'd be watching golf on television.

He loved golf even more than his beloved Xavier Musketeers basketball team, and if you knew my dad, that's saying quite a lot.

But at the same time, Dad subscribed to the Puritan work ethic, which I liked to sum up by using the H.L. Mencken quip that Puritans had "the haunting fear that someone somewhere might be happy." He worked long hours, was a perfectionist, and was never satisfied that something he worked on was "good enough". 

If you know me, either in MMOs or in real life, then this meme has probably popped into your head:

Yeah yeah yeah... I get it.

I have tried very hard not to burden my kids with my faults, and I think I've largely succeeded. They study, they play, and they work hard, but they don't overdo it. The girls are obsessive and perfectionists at music, but as long as it's limited to just that localized area, I consider that a success.

But still, my dad didn't have a father figure growing up, and his uncle (who never had kids) was the closest one he had. So he basically imprinted himself upon me, and as time has gone on I've had to fight that Puritan ethic that tells me that playing games without any real focus other than pure fun is a waste of time.**** 

My wife hasn't exactly helped either, as I can't tell you the number of times we've had a lazy day off and sometime at the end of the day she gets upset that we didn't do anything. She's so used to her parents always doing things outside, visiting places, and simply doing things that the concept of just screwing around and decompressing frequently has the opposite of its intended effect. If we go on vacation, if we're not where we are supposed to be bright and early so that we can maximize "fun" she gets really upset.*****

And if you think you know where this is going, yeah....

I spent the weekend alternating between two wildly contrasting views: that I should stop being an ass and join the guild I raid with (and have Az join another guild comprised of friends I group with on a regular basis); or that I should stop playing MMOs entirely and focus on "better things to do with the life I have left."

There was absolutely no fucking middle ground here.

Both have compelling arguments to them, and when you're listening to sad music from Simon and Garfunkel, the Carpenters, and other staples of my parents' record collection, both feel equally valid. 

Or this song from Fannigan's Isle,
A local Irish band.

 

One one side, it only makes sense that I'd finally join the guild I raid with, and at the same time place Az in a guild that has several other friends I run with. After all, they're acquaintances and friends that I enjoy hanging with, and it only makes sense to finally join the club.

However, there's also the risk of burnout.

I've seen some of the guilds currently raiding Naxxramas out there raiding Naxx 5 or 6 nights a week. The sheer number of mats and potions to keep that grind up is absolutely insane, and I don't see how guilds can keep that pace up without cracking soon. 

And likewise, I do raid a ton myself. That's because I want to see a lot of the smaller raids put on succeed, such as ZG twice a week and AQ20 on Sundays. Then there's Molten Core Thursday Fun Runs, which I also know need regular raiders to succeed. So I show up because that's what friends do, they support each other. And to be fair, I don't buff myself much for those runs because I'm geared well enough to not require it. Yet I can see where I can't simply keep this going week in and week out. 

There's also the push to get "sweatier", as in working harder and harder to get to the top of my raiding game for the progression raids. Other Mages in the guild diligently farmed Necrotic Runes in the Scourge Invasion event and ended up with 6 to 8 stacks (or more) of Blessed Wizard Oil, so they'll have BiS oils for Naxx raids practically going into BC. Me? I had real life to deal with, and managed 3 stacks, which should get me to February. I say to myself that should be good enough, but is it really? Do I really know if I'm measuring up if I'm constantly 6/6?

And there's the perpetual gear grind, and I'm sitting here wondering when I'll ever catch up to the rest of the Mages. I've been assured repeatedly that I'm doing fine, but as I pointed out above, I'm my Dad's son, and that "I'm not good enough" mantra is alive and well within my psyche.


 

For the other side, it kind of goes without saying. Save some dollars, free up some time to do other things, such as read or fix things around the house, and maybe go out and get back in shape. Without my MMO habit, I'd not be seriously considering building my own PC. That's saving quite a few dollars right there, that could be better spent on "more important stuff". 

Like studying my work more, I suppose. I've been told I need to brush up on this or that, or pick up a new skill to keep myself relevant. Dropping MMOs would free up the time for me to do that, and to take the certification exams that do keep me relevant.

And yet, do I want to become my father? Do I want to be dead at age 69? I spent my life running from having "He Did a Good Job at Work" chiseled on my tombstone, so why should I change now?

Do I want to become sweaty at work instead of in a game?

***

What will I do? 

/sigh

Fuck all if I know.

I don't have any answers, which is why I wrote this all down. 

I am my father's son, for better or worse, and because of that I have my own demons to overcome. And there are plenty of times when that inner voice shouts louder than any voice of reason, whether it comes from myself or my friends or my family. And no matter what I do that voice will still be with me, sowing doubt.

Like I told some of my fellow Mages when I tried to explain what's going on right now, "I need to get my head screwed on straight first, and then maybe I'll be able to do something."

(But it wouldn't surprise me if I just remain in purgatory, in this wandering between the two ends. Because my inner voice would like it like that.)


 

 

*At times like this, I pour gasoline onto my internal fire by playing this piece from the Ken Burns' documentary The Civil War. I first heard it about 30 years ago, and every time I listen it feels sadder and sadder, so be warned. And for pete's sake, don't listen to this if you've a couple of drinks in you.


 

**If you wondered why the blog output declined during that time, now you know.

***When he was growing up, he'd even play golf in the snow; his uncle would take him out to the golf course near old Lunken Airport and they'd play there. My dad was very very good at golf; he could have been a local PGA pro at one of the courses around the county if he wanted to, but he never considered himself good enough to be able to do that. Hell, I'd have liked to have seen him try out for the US Open on the amateur side. As a measure of how good a player he was, he's played at both Pebble Beach (California) and Valhalla (in Louisville, KY), both places on the PGA Tour, and he's either made par or gotten under par. No handicap, just skill.

****How he reconciled his golf obsession (and college basketball obsession) with that work ethic is beyond me, so don't ask.

*****Yeah, vacations are anything but relaxing.


EtA: Added an extra pic.
EtA: Corrected some grammar.

7 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your wife's friend. :( Not much more I can think of saying about that...

    Maybe you can cut back on the raiding just a little bit to free up some time for other things? To be honest, I've been surprised by how many raids you sound like you're attending every week, considering how much you seem to want to avoid getting tied down. Even if you want to help out, it might be best to save a couple of evenings for other things just to prevent burnout.

    And did you know that Sully Balloo's letter is in Classic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I didn't know that. But damn if that doesn't pull at the heartstrings. It's right up there with the A Tale of Valor in Icecrown. And like the Sully Balloo Letter, it was also based in reality, to remember a friend who died of cancer.

      But seeing the portraits of the married couples, presumably before their husbands went off to fight in response to Abraham Lincoln's call for volunteers to defend the Union, you can't help but wonder how many of them died.

      And yes, I should back off a bit on the 'side' raiding. At the same time, it only takes up about 1.5 hours of my time at 11:00 PM, and I'd also not want to let Jes down. (Well, you probably knew I'd say that.)

      Burn me but this sucks.

      Delete
    2. Well, fuck.

      I was curious as to how Blizz interpreted it, and so I read the letter. Instead of the images Ken Burns used in The Civil War, I thought of an ancestor of mine, William Vidal (misspelled on the Cincinnati Fire Museum website) who was the seventh Cincinnati Firefighter to die in the line of duty. He left behind a wife and a young son when he died in 1856.

      Okay, who is cutting onions around here?

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear about your wife's friend. Maybe Gatlinburg was as good as making it to Christmas for her.

    I would back off the raiding and join the friends guild but I am so not an achiever. I drive my husband crazy with my, just get it done even if it's not perfect attitude as opposed to his it must be perfect one.

    I hope you come up with a plan that makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the condolences, Ancient. You were another bright spot in 2020!

      So the "dial it back a bit" compromise gets 2 votes.

      Maybe "happy" is the goal, but I'd settle for "less adrift" at this point. But at the same time, joining another guild means that I won't really have the option of "vanishing" from time to time to just do my own thing with nobody else noticing.

      Delete
  3. So many losses this year, each one aches.

    Don't burn yourself out. I'd miss you if you up and disappeared.

    Both guilds sound like good options for the respective characters, but I also totally get wanting to be logged on to relax/meditate/get away etc without having others know that you're on. Would you feel "less adrift" with having Card in the raiding guild, but Az still unguilded so you can "hide" on her if you need it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd miss you too, Kamalia.

      Unfortunately for me, Az is quite a known entity out there, so there are people in and outside of guilds who have her friended. It's actually a bit of a weird feeling where I'll be going someplace on either toon and I have some person I don't know wave at me, because it turns out I raided with them once a while back. Like I raided Az with a guild on Saturday morning (AQ20 run) because they didn't have enough bodies to run Naxx and a friend I knew on Card reached out to me. I figured "sure, I'll help out on Az, because she's not on an AQ cooldown. And if a Rogue book drops that I need, so much the better." Well, now I get waves whenever I run through Ironforge in the morning, much to my surprise.

      I guess that means I'll have to stick to the wilds if I want to hide on Az for the moment.

      If I want to be completely incognito, however, I have to level a third toon to L60 first. I've got a Warlock, a Pally, and a Priest, but I don't quite have the same connection to either of them as I do to Az and Card. At least not yet, anyway.

      But I kind of neatly sidestepped the real problem at hand. Writing all this out has helped me a lot this past week, and I can kind of see a path forward. Of course, just as I'm saying this I have to wonder whether Naxx is starting to take a toll on the raid in general, but we'll see.

      Delete