Sunday, August 26, 2018

Sadness

I knew it was going to happen sometime, but I hoped it wouldn't happen for a long time to come.

There was a mass shooting at a Madden NFL 19 tournament in Jacksonville, Florida.

Police barricading a street near the Jacksonville
Landing area, where the shooting took place.
From The Guardian.

I'm posting a link to The Guardian mainly because it doesn't have a pop up video that automatically starts.

I don't know too many details, but I knew that with the toxic environment surrounding video game chat I figured someone was going to eventually turn words into bullets. The when always bothered me, because it seemed that we as a gamer community kept tempting fate the longer our community tolerates the toxic environment in video games, but I'd hoped that we could fix things before this would actually happen. I guess I was wrong.

2 comments:

  1. While I believe your heart is in the right place, I don’t believe you are comparing a similar cause and effect. According to reports the shooter knew the two victims and had some sort of relationship with them in the past. He bypassed an entire gaming audience which totally negates your argument of “toxic environment” being behind this. It was personal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it was personal didn't negate my argument at all. We've plenty of examples of mass shootings where somebody held a personal grudge. It being potentially premeditated doesn't detract from the environment video games have become. TBH I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often in sports, let alone video games. The spectre of Andres Escobar's murder after the 1994 World Cup still looms large.

      Delete