Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Good To See You Back Again, NBI

It's good to see the Newbie Blogger Initiative make a reappearance.

Contrary to what some may believe, you can never have enough bloggers out there.  The blogosphere is in a constant state of flux as new blogs replace those that have gone silent, and in MMOs especially an infusion of new blood is always welcome.

Why  "MMO's especially"?  Because it seems that MMO blogs are on a downward spiral, with some long standing blogs going silent or taking extended leaves of absence.  We need new voices, new perspectives to step in and be heard.

Yes, it can be hard at times when you check your blog and see a big fat zero next to comments.  I'm not going to lie and say that it never bothered me, because it did, even when I knew that practically nobody was aware of this new blog of ours.  And when the search term that most frequently brings someone to your site is "retardin desensitizing cream", it can be pretty damn depressing.*  Blogging is definitely not for those who crave attention.  However, blogging is for people who like to write, have an opinion, and want to spend some time putting that opinion out there.

This is not the immediacy of Twitter.  Neither is it as voyeuristic as Facebook or LinkedIn or G+.  But blogging does provide a creative outlet to those who want it, and the best part is that your opinions can't be shouted down on your own blog.

And when you get that first real comment, the feeling is priceless.




*I'm sure that just by mentioning this name we'll get yet another wave of searches heading our way.  That's what I get for my one post way back in 2010 (or so) about the subset of Ret Spec Paladins derisively called Retardins.

4 comments:

  1. I whole heartedly agree! Blogging has to be something you do for yourself or you will only just get depressed by it if you don't get the readership you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely.

      I don't think we'd have lasted this long if craving attention was our reason for blogging. At the same time, I think I'd be in a serious state of denial if I thought that there wasn't some ego involved, because you have to consider your words worth reading if you're exposing yourself in public like this.

      Delete
  2. I often wonder how long I'd continue blogging if I turned off comments. Everyone has different reasons for blogging and I'm pretty sure mine is just to talk to others who love playing WoW.

    Talk about depressing my top search is "raquel welch nude." Past indiscretions haunt me.

    And I love finding new blogs they tend to spur my enthusiasm when it starts to wane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least you've got something vaguely interesting in "raquel welch nude"; I'd take that over my search term!

      Your blog is ideally suited to chatting, because your posts have a style that says "Here, have some tea. Let me spike it with something, we'll kick back on the porch, and let me tell you what I've been up to." I'm actually quite jealous of how you're able to pull that off.

      Delete